1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok a few years ago I sold my belt filling machine only because I needed the cash. I got my Linkers out today and noticed they both 30-06 and 308 had some rust, not alot on one but the other one has quiet a bit. It dont look like any pitting yet. I got these about 20 years ago with my DLO 1919 from Kent Lomont so they are older and look like cast. What is the best way to remove the rust ? Also what to apply to prevent rust in the future.
Thanks M.McCurry

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Are you saying the LINKS have rust or the LINKERS? If links, just toss them in a tumbler and let them run a while, remove the media, and spray lightly with WD-40 and allow to dry. Clean, rust-free links.

If LINKERS you probably need to clean with crocus cloth and oil. Pics would help a lot here.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
sound like M7 or similar units

should say on the bottom.

The plate should unbolt along the bottom edge.

I'd just wire brush and soak with 30 wt. ...set them in the sun to ferment.

Or dissasemble blast and paint/park.

oil would be quick & easy.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
sound like M7 or similar units

should say on the bottom.

The plate should unbolt along the bottom edge.

I'd just wire brush and soak with 30 wt. ...set them in the sun to ferment.

Or dissasemble blast and paint/park.

oil would be quick & easy.
Wire wheel chucked in a drill. Then oil.
I'm lazy! LOL!!:D
I too, like the soak in the sun idea. Lets it penetrate good and deep.

·
Premium Member
6,054 Posts
Do a search on electrolytic rust removal and you will find it. I use Arm and Hammer washing soda and it works quite well and is non toxic. I have restored many antiques using this method and know more than a few museums that use the same method. DO NOT use a stainless steel rod. Do some quick reading on it and you will be fine, I think this is the Ron Popiel method of restoration "set it and forget it" :tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts