1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to know is it possible to change out a front barrel bushing on a M3 barrel ? The front bushing looks like its either pressed or screwed on then staked in 4 places. Has anyone changed one of these out ?

Thanks
ajmdreammg42

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...front bbl bushing

From my memory,the bushing for the barrel shroud is replaceable on an M3. Yeah...it was probably staked on...but was a expendable part,as was the barrel and was replaced as needed. Yes...it was threaded on.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Len,
I am talking about the front bushing on the M3 barrel itself, not the shroud. Like the one in the picture with out the flash hider. I have a brand new M3 barrel that was in a flood, the rifling and chamber are still like new but the short area just forward of the rifling inside the front bearing that is normally smooth is totally corroded. So I was wondering if I can replace the front barrel bearing, but its staked in. Are these pressed in or screwed it or ?

pix750989378.jpg

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
Mine has two straight blade screws thru shroud into the muzzle bearing and the cone booster m3heater.jpg ( middle of pic ) has 2 cuts in it that fit a 50 cal combo muzzle wrench wrenchcombo.jpg indicating it is threaded ,for what it`s worth !! picture from BMGparts.com

My TNW came as an M3 and i had to use the wench to remove the shroud and swap out for barrel support to configure as HB . Wrench also fit HB trunnion barrel bearing .

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok here are 2 M3 barrels I have, the one on the right shows a smooth section in the very front bore about 1-2 inches from the muzzle. the barrel on the left is the flood damaged one that got corroded. I want to either ream the corrosion out OR possibly replace the front bearing, BUT is this front smooth section part of the front barrel bearing/bushing or part of the barrel its self and cannot be replaced ?

20151001_083639.jpg if you look at this picture on the barrel on the right, you can see the smooth section and where the rifling starts
20151001_083724.jpg the barrel on the left is flood damaged with corroded front section- ream out ? replace front bushing ?
20151001_083744.jpg My M3 barrels have 2 different lengths for front bushings WHY ?

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
It would appear your barrels have been bearing surface re-sleeved , mine has the short bearing surface like one you show but No counter bore to front barrel :confused: on my unmolested barrel the front of the bearing is the front of the barrel with a 60* countersink to rifling in the barrel . :confused::confused: No sleeve !
Yours appear to be counter bore re crowned barrels .

I suggest you get some Evapo-Rust (TM) and and submerge the corroded one only to the rust line and let sit for 24-48 hr once rinsed you will have white metal , oil and shoot .
Evapo-Rust (TM) will remove any iron oxide this includes park and bluing !! But will touch no other metal type or eat into unoxidized steel at all .

https://www.evaporust.com/?gclid=CIelkZzFocgCFQyPHwodlcYEpA

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It would appear your barrels have been bearing surface re-sleeved , mine has the short bearing surface like one you show but No counter bore to front barrel :confused: on my unmolested barrel the front of the bearing is the front of the barrel with a 60* countersink to rifling in the barrel . :confused::confused: No sleeve !
Yours appear to be counter bore re crowned barrels .

I suggest you get some Evapo-Rust (TM) and and submerge the corroded one only to the rust line and let sit for 24-48 hr once rinsed you will have white metal , oil and shoot .
Evapo-Rust (TM) will remove any iron oxide this includes park and bluing !! But will touch no other metal type or eat into unoxidized steel at all .

https://www.evaporust.com/?gclid=CIelkZzFocgCFQyPHwodlcYEpA
evaporust sounds like a good way to start, gots lots of other parts that could use the stuff also !

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts