1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to know is it possible to change out a front barrel bushing on a M3 barrel ? The front bushing looks like its either pressed or screwed on then staked in 4 places. Has anyone changed one of these out ?

Thanks
ajmdreammg42

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
...front bbl bushing

From my memory,the bushing for the barrel shroud is replaceable on an M3. Yeah...it was probably staked on...but was a expendable part,as was the barrel and was replaced as needed. Yes...it was threaded on.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Len,
I am talking about the front bushing on the M3 barrel itself, not the shroud. Like the one in the picture with out the flash hider. I have a brand new M3 barrel that was in a flood, the rifling and chamber are still like new but the short area just forward of the rifling inside the front bearing that is normally smooth is totally corroded. So I was wondering if I can replace the front barrel bearing, but its staked in. Are these pressed in or screwed it or ?

Tool accessory Tool Nozzle Cylinder

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
Mine has two straight blade screws thru shroud into the muzzle bearing and the cone booster ( middle of pic ) has 2 cuts in it that fit a 50 cal combo muzzle wrench indicating it is threaded ,for what it`s worth !! picture from BMGparts.com

My TNW came as an M3 and i had to use the wench to remove the shroud and swap out for barrel support to configure as HB . Wrench also fit HB trunnion barrel bearing .

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok here are 2 M3 barrels I have, the one on the right shows a smooth section in the very front bore about 1-2 inches from the muzzle. the barrel on the left is the flood damaged one that got corroded. I want to either ream the corrosion out OR possibly replace the front bearing, BUT is this front smooth section part of the front barrel bearing/bushing or part of the barrel its self and cannot be replaced ?

Metal Bumper Auto part Steel Vehicle if you look at this picture on the barrel on the right, you can see the smooth section and where the rifling starts
Metal Pipe Steel casing pipe Pipe insulation Steel the barrel on the left is flood damaged with corroded front section- ream out ? replace front bushing ?
Pipe Auto part Cylinder Steel Tool accessory My M3 barrels have 2 different lengths for front bushings WHY ?

·
BeltFed GURU
4,433 Posts
It would appear your barrels have been bearing surface re-sleeved , mine has the short bearing surface like one you show but No counter bore to front barrel :confused: on my unmolested barrel the front of the bearing is the front of the barrel with a 60* countersink to rifling in the barrel . :confused::confused: No sleeve !
Yours appear to be counter bore re crowned barrels .

I suggest you get some Evapo-Rust (TM) and and submerge the corroded one only to the rust line and let sit for 24-48 hr once rinsed you will have white metal , oil and shoot .
Evapo-Rust (TM) will remove any iron oxide this includes park and bluing !! But will touch no other metal type or eat into unoxidized steel at all .

https://www.evaporust.com/?gclid=CIelkZzFocgCFQyPHwodlcYEpA

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would appear your barrels have been bearing surface re-sleeved , mine has the short bearing surface like one you show but No counter bore to front barrel :confused: on my unmolested barrel the front of the bearing is the front of the barrel with a 60* countersink to rifling in the barrel . :confused::confused: No sleeve !
Yours appear to be counter bore re crowned barrels .

I suggest you get some Evapo-Rust (TM) and and submerge the corroded one only to the rust line and let sit for 24-48 hr once rinsed you will have white metal , oil and shoot .
Evapo-Rust (TM) will remove any iron oxide this includes park and bluing !! But will touch no other metal type or eat into unoxidized steel at all .

https://www.evaporust.com/?gclid=CIelkZzFocgCFQyPHwodlcYEpA
evaporust sounds like a good way to start, gots lots of other parts that could use the stuff also !

Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts