1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I assume you ask because you’re watching this one https://www.gunbroker.com/item/854558255

Typically I figure $500 but that one is already over $500. So we shall see. Mg42 stuff is skyrocketing in price since so many semis are being restored. And new collectors are recognizing the variations and interest of study of a platform many considered to be uniform though is anything but.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya im at 505 and was wondering if i was out of touch with reality. Slowing down my my ammo pig means a little more time on the range. Im sure it would pay for itself pretty quick. Thanks Abominog for your input.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Just for your info, the use of the heavy bolt and special buffers that were made for and contracted to the Italian army in the late '50s and early 60s in the 42/59 series of MG42s were discontinued apparently due to increased vibration damage to the receivers. The intent was to reduce the damage from the high rate of fire of issue MG42s by slowing it down with the heavy bolt and special buffer design, but in practice it did not do that and damage was the same or increased from vibration. Cracking of welds, loosening of rivets, etc.
In the US there are heavy bolts made by both Beretta and by Rheinmetall.
Buffers do not use a heavy flat wound spring as do the standard MG42s.
FWIW

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, Bob Thanks, You would think it would have the opposite effect by reducing the rate. Thanks for input on this , Sure don't want to damage my C&R.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
The MG74 series of MG42 clones used the heavy bolt system but I have not found any discussion or report on the use of these guns and the consequences for them of the heavy bolt and buffer. They are long obsolete. I had two post-sample 74s for a number of years and only rarely shot them so have a bit of experience with them. Keep in mind that the Italian army issue use of the heavy bolt equipped 42/59s was severe. They tried the heavy bolt system simply because their issue MG42s were very heavily used and sustained damage, so they thought that slowing the ROF would reduce the damage. However, the heavy bolt also produced damaging vibrations with severe use.
Recreational use of the heavy bolt in a transferable MG42 probably would have little damaging effect or probably no more than using the standard bolt and buffer at the higher ROF.
I've handled a few MG42s owned by private parties that allegedly have fired over 100k rounds. One off them had some cracks and loose rivets. Another one had no evident damage at all. So, predicting damage to the guns is really not possible.
The MG42s were an expedient made under incredible industrial stress and were not intended to last. Low cost, stamped components, high volume production. In my opinion there was never any concern about how long they would last since immediate issue for combat was the order of the day. All the finer characteristics of manufacture were thrown to the door in pursuit of MGs pushed to the front. For a throw-away product they are amazingly durable. FWIW

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That is what i was wanting to know. My C&R is in very good condition no loose rivet's ,Cracks,Ect and want to keep it that way. Thanks for your input on this once again . I know the 74 bolt's don't come around often and there not a lot out there. So needed to hear some of you more experienced guys to add some input on the subject. Thanks Again. Hope you get all this snow we just got up your way Bob. Thanks

·
Registered
389 Posts
I always passed on these because Bob advised against it. Since he works on them, for a living, I tend to take his word for things like this.

Harry

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree . experience and wisdom is priceless. Just wanted to know a fair price but received more then asked witch is a good thing in this case. SURELY Don't want to ruin my weapon at the cost a saving ammo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts