1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm trying to get an idea of mg08/15 parts kit pricing and availability for another build for midwest. Anyone have an idea on current pricing? I saw one on ima for 5k, is this the norm? What are some problem parts to find? Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I guess I should field this one as I have bought and sold so many. :)

Pricing is ALL over the place. I would say that $4-5k for a complete kit is probably about going rate these days. Its very important that you know how much the parts cost. The steam port cover (Cap at back of the waterjacket) is about a $1k part and always missing. Bipods are like $800 or so. Fusee covers are $500-600ish. Locks are $650ish. So just missing some of the most common parts can really change the value. Problems from a semi auto conversion usually come down to the way the sideplate was removed. Few do it well and so the rivets are drilled out wrong or worse. Broken springs and firing pins in locks. Missing parts, welded barrels... the list goes on. Parts have gotten really hard to find. I use to have a ton for sale. Now almost nothing.

I will also tell you that if you live in a stamp with FA, I would not recommend the 08/15 for a semi conversion. Its not worth doing if you have to buy a new kit. New kit say $5k. $1k or so in conversion. totally if you are lucky, say $6k. For $8 you can buy a registered gun that will be a LOT more fun. Its one thing with a MG08 or 1910 where you can a gun worth twice or more a MG08/15 when registered.

I highly suggest just going for a Registered gun if your state allows it. German Maxims are awesome guns but unless you are getting the parts cheap, the value of the parts is high enough that its really not that worth doing the semi conversion. For the Russian 1910 sure, great value. Or if you have a German parts kit with no money in it, maybe. Even there a MG08 is much more worth doing than a MG08/15. I know this might not be what you want to hear... I was in the same boat, but its the best way to go.

·
11,668 Posts
IMBLITZVT is the pro for parts pricing on these guns and if you can read through his typonese, stick with his response. if you are that serous about an 08/15... just but a full auto version. 8-10,000 would be an average price.

rory

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMBLITZVT is the pro for parts pricing on these guns and if you can read through his typonese, stick with his response. if you are that serous about an 08/15... just but a full auto version. 8-10,000 would be an average price.

rory
I did not know 08/15 fa's were that affordable, this may just get me in the full auto game, thank you very much for your responses gentlemen!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Please note, the MG08/15 that IMA USA sells is a display gun and not a parts kit. You would be missing many expensive parts to turn it into a live gun and even the existing parts might not be suitable for reuse. In the above example I do not believe the gun has the lock, has missing or cut recoil arms, and maybe the feedblock is missing parts. I know because a forum member actually bought the gun from IMA, told me about it and I explained what IMA usually did when they built a display gun. He went back to IMA and they reluctantly confirmed what I said and he cancelled the order. Months later, the display gun is still available. Some dummy guns that IMA sells are nicely finished display guns, others are franken-guns.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Hey, you got me there. I am an Engineer. You find an Engineer who can spell and write... you found a bad Engineer! The day I have to earn a living based on my writing abilities, I will just sign up for welfare.

I did not know 08/15 fa's were that affordable, this may just get me in the full auto game, thank you very much for your responses gentlemen!
I just was at a MG Auction where one went for $6.5K plus 15% and it was a nice gun.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
" just was at a MG Auction where one went for $6.5K plus 15% and it was a nice gun."

Where does one find these places? Im new to this world.

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts
Hell I picked up a c&r 08 on sled with optics, some spares, spare lock and 4 cases 8mm on vickers tabbed belts for 16k about a year ago. Sold the sled to a friend for 4500. have I mentioned that I just dont get semi guns! I needed another 08 like a hole in the head but i just couldn’t let it sit there feeling unloved.

Reactions: Colt44mag21

·
11,668 Posts
Hell I picked up a c&r 08 on sled with optics, some spares, spare lock and 4 cases 8mm on vickers tabbed belts for 16k about a year ago. Sold the sled to a friend for 4500. have I mentioned that I just dont get semi guns! I needed another 08 like a hole in the head but i just couldn’t let it sit there feeling unloved.
I did the same a year ago. It was posted here for like a year!

·
Watercooled Addict
2,108 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
You just have to keep an eye out. Morphy, RIA, Centurion and the other auctions. Put your bid in, sometimes the guns go cheap. Gunbroker, Sturmgewehr and other NFA websites. They are out there and 08/15s are not hard to find. One of the most common Belt Fed MGs out there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts