1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
want to know if any one has experience with the ORF sideplats, any problims with alinement or fit or any extra work that should or needs to be done

thank yoiu !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have one and its good, just dont waste your money on the engraved one, most of it comes off when you sand blast it prior to parking.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
JMO, but I have found the quality control lacking. Examples I have dealt with include missed machining operations on the inside, beveled edges that are supposed to be perfectly square and milling the back plate slot way too deep. I won't use them anymore with far better stuff out there like Brass Cartridge and daves100 (Keith Gelsomino), both of whom offer engraving that won't sandblast off.

ORF plates had a good rep for a long time and still do among many, but I have had too many bad examples.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the input, I'll know next time.
plate has not arived yet but when it dose I'll look it over closely

thanks to all who replied

·
Registered
85 Posts
Orf Plates

Just my experience with the ORF RSP's. I have built with 2 of them and have no complaints. Fit and finish was fine.

Steve :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts
jarhead said:
thanks for the input, I'll know next time.
plate has not arived yet but when it dose I'll look it over closely ...
Not to be a wise guy or anything, but why would you wait until after you've already ordered one, to ask for advice.

I have no experience with a ORF plate, but I can tell you that brasscartridge's plates are right on the money.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
ORF Plate

My first build was with an ORF Plate. Other than the shallow engraving, I have no major complaints.

I did have to deburr the plate on all edges before assembly, and I had to file the plate some material at the trunnion to make sure the transition from the trunnion to the plate was even. This was no problem and only took about 10 min. for all the deburing.

The plate was easy to build with and I would have no problem building with another one as the quality is still the same.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
I don't want to imply that the ORF plates are junk. I have built on them. I would rather they left the deburring to the builder than OVER do it as I have seen sometimes. And some fitting as Abwerh describes is no problem. My problem is that I bought a few that were directly from, or sent to, the engraver before I ever looked at them, so I had no recourse upon finding problems. I couldn't return them at that point! I think that if you order a blank plate and inspect it before engraving or other modifications, you should be fine. If you see the kinds of things I have found that bother you, it can be easily returned and swapped for another. Again, it is the inconsistency that is troublesome to me on the quality control. The blanchard ground surface is awesome, though.

·
Premium Member
6,504 Posts
We've built a lot of guns on ORF plates and the engraving leaves much to be desired and occassonally we have to file a tad on the link ejection port, but they have the most complete 80% semi plate I've used and I have no complaints...other than the engraving. I've never had one yet that the internals didn't fit and function fine. I've seen it posted how machining processess and QC has lacked, but I'm fortunate I guess to not have gotten one of those plates.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Used 3 of them - worked for me. Slight bow across the plate on 1 or 2 of them (+/- 1/16"). Straightened out fine once clamped and rivetted. Great fit, all pre drilled holes/slots lined up near perfect, box squared up nice, had to file link ejection port. The laser cut edges (or whatever they cut them with) are hard and didn't take the park well. I bought these a few years ago and have read QC has went downhill since (don't believe everything you read). Had the engraving done by Steve Sawyer.
Just my experience.
mcj600

·
Registered
749 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a brass cartridge plate. They are built out of the best material are built to military spec. and they are easier to assemble and pre sandblasted. Also they are only machined not laser cut and have a perfect profile every time. ... Oh what else, the engraving is nice and deep and doesn't wash away with a single sandblasting. just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
20 Posts
loboslanding said:
We've built a lot of guns on ORF plates and the engraving leaves much to be desired and occassonally we have to file a tad on the link ejection port, but they have the most complete 80% semi plate I've used and I have no complaints...other than the engraving. I've never had one yet that the internals didn't fit and function fine. I've seen it posted how machining processess and QC has lacked, but I'm fortunate I guess to not have gotten one of those plates.

First time builder and LL descibed it perfectly. It fit fine except for the link ejection port and the engraving.

·
Registered
96 Posts
+1 on a really good side plate. My ORF plate is about a years past vintage. Zero problems but ditto the weak engraving. For the availability and cost it was hard to beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finely got plate in mail

I see what every one ment about the engraving will have to be carfull with the sand blaster

slots for back plate and trunion are a perfict fit, not to deep

the finish is very nice, still had burs on edges and kinda liked the hard edges from the EDM or whatever thay used to cut profile, wont wear or bruse easely during use or handling

this is my first build and am very satisfied with ORF sideplate

thanks to everyone who replied and hope this helps other newbys with their builds

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,161 Posts
jarhead- Glad you got a good plate. The only issue you might have with the hard edges is if you need to file them down flush with the trunnion, particualarly at the feed way. I just did that on one of my old ORF plate builds that I had never parked. Figured I'd finish it up at last and had one HELL of a time getting through those edges. Had to use a grinder and dremel bits to break through! Now careful with the sandblaster on the engraving! :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
ORF Plate

Lucky#13,

You got that right about the edges of the ORF plate being hard. This was the toughest part I had to deal with on the ORF was filing down the ejection port to match the trunnion. I did the same as you; used the Dremel to get it down and then draw filed to final finish.

My only complaint about the ORF plate is the engraving, it is just not deep enough. But when I bought mine, they were the best one going at the time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was real careful sand blasting mine but after I parked it the engraving was just about non existent. I had to pay 50 bucks to have it done again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts