1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aquired a M2 tripod a while back and was reading Dolf's book # 1 page 384 and he states that RIA made the last group of M2 tripods in Dec 1942 and only made 816 of them. Looking at the only RIA tripod I have dated 1942 with serial number 82429 I was wondering if its a rebuild or one of that last ones built by RIA ? anybody else got a similiar tripod ?

Auto part Tool
Auto part
Cylinder Machine

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Allen, I believe that to be an original and not a rebuild. Nice pod too!
CaptMax

·
Registered
869 Posts
I've got one inbound that is just over 500 higher than that one. Curious to compare when it hits my bench.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks capt max and yes please greaser please post some pics when you get yours in so we can compare markings on it. It would be great if we could establish a serial number range for the last group of M2 tripods from RIA

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Allan, I looked at the reference in Dolf. Just to be clear those 816 M2 pods were the last made BY RIA, but not the only ones. For the rest of the war, the commercial makers took over. Looking at what I can see on yours, it appears to be fairly late in that 1942 production, based on changes made during that year. But the M2 was developed and tested at RIA, I believe. At least, I have pics of the prototypes from about 1934 from RIA. Same for the 1917A1 pod, which was done around the same time frame. I would assume there is more detailed info in Dolf Vol III, but I have not spent much time in that one. I would look at that source before taking anything I state above as gospell, as this is just off the top of my recollection.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allan, I looked at the reference in Dolf. Just to be clear those 816 M2 pods were the last made BY RIA, but not the only ones. For the rest of the war, the commercial makers took over. Looking at what I can see on yours, it appears to be fairly late in that 1942 production, based on changes made during that year. But the M2 was developed and tested at RIA, I believe. At least, I have pics of the prototypes from about 1934 from RIA. Same for the 1917A1 pod, which was done around the same time frame. I would assume there is more detailed info in Dolf Vol III, but I have not spent much time in that one. I would look at that source before taking anything I state above as gospell, as this is just off the top of my recollection.
Rollin,
Yes Of course I concur about RIA making the last ones made by them in Dec/late 1942. I believe I have all the M2 mfg's, if I get time I will take pictures of them all . When I get a chance I will look threw volume 3 and see any more info on the RIA ones. When I collected all the M2 tripod mfgs it was the early stages of my Rollinitous disease, then I got RussBAmodium and started collecting weird obscure parts, especially if it had BA marked on it anywhere. Now totally infected with the 2 dreaded diseases cant seem to think about much anymore except for markings on parts, correct time/production period parts, parked or blue or in the "white", stockpiling vast large boxes of gun parts made long time ago, seems like i"m on a never ending hunt for long forgotten treasures that are a piece of history waiting to be discovered. What dreaded diseases, the killer of wallets and bank accounts, classified as weirdo or worse, having such a addiction.:D:rofl:

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
cant seem to think about much anymore except for markings on parts, correct time/production period parts, parked or blue or in the "white", stockpiling vast large boxes of gun parts made long time ago, seems like i"m on a never ending hunt for long forgotten treasures that are a piece of history waiting to be discovered. What dreaded diseases, the killer of wallets and bank accounts, classified as weirdo or worse, having such a addiction.:D:rofl:
Oh my gosh I have that too!
I've found that a week at the Knob Creek Rehab is just what the doctor ordered and I always feel better too. :D
CaptMax

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
I have helped infect so many with the markings disease, along with Russ, that we should be in all the medical history books alongside Typhoid Mary, lol. The biggest problem- and Allan, you know this all too well from the good-natured grief I often give you- is that Russ and I keep creating our own competition for said rare, collectible parts. I don't know how we are going to dominate the world by having made this so public. A conspiracy is only good if one keeps it secret!!! We should have just hoarded it all and never posted here on the forum. Rats! :(:rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
Rollin,
Yes Of course I concur about RIA making the last ones made by them in Dec/late 1942. I believe I have all the M2 mfg's, if I get time I will take pictures of them all . When I get a chance I will look threw volume 3 and see any more info on the RIA ones. When I collected all the M2 tripod mfgs it was the early stages of my Rollinitous disease, then I got RussBAmodium and started collecting weird obscure parts, especially if it had BA marked on it anywhere. Now totally infected with the 2 dreaded diseases cant seem to think about much anymore except for markings on parts, correct time/production period parts, parked or blue or in the "white", stockpiling vast large boxes of gun parts made long time ago, seems like i"m on a never ending hunt for long forgotten treasures that are a piece of history waiting to be discovered. What dreaded diseases, the killer of wallets and bank accounts, classified as weirdo or worse, having such a addiction.:D:rofl:
Sure blame your illness on Rollin and I lol but that is ok we have big shoulders :tongue: Allan when I get home from Philly in three weeks I will post some pictures of my RIA M2 tripod. It is an early 42 as is evident of the brass azimuth ring but I don't think our numbers are too far apart IIRC? To the best I can tell it was around April or May of 42 the deleted the azimuth rings and I have seen tripods with out the ring and no hoe for the keeper screw drilled but had the large brass pintle bushing so we can only assume they were using up what was already made. I have yet to dig into Dolf's book to research mine but that is only because I am working to darn much!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sure blame your illness on Rollin and I lol but that is ok we have big shoulders :tongue: Allan when I get home from Philly in three weeks I will post some pictures of my RIA M2 tripod. It is an early 42 as is evident of the brass azimuth ring but I don't think our numbers are too far apart IIRC? To the best I can tell it was around April or May of 42 the deleted the azimuth rings and I have seen tripods with out the ring and no hoe for the keeper screw drilled but had the large brass pintle bushing so we can only assume they were using up what was already made. I have yet to dig into Dolf's book to research mine but that is only because I am working to darn much!
Russ,
Please post some pics of your RIA tripod. I have found 2 of my tripods with the pad for the keeper screw for the azimuth ring, one with a hole and one with out, one is Evans mfg dated 1942 and the other Appliance MFG with early feet dated 1943, but it looks that one might have been redone at some point of time.

Auto part Auto part Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are the pics of my M2 tripods. Think I have every MFG made except the colsman ? Not sure If I have ever seen one but they are listed in Dolfs book, anybody have one ? I know there are repo plates of them out there but anybody got a original ?
Antique tool Baluster Metal Auto part Engine Metal
Technology
Auto part Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Allen, that pic of the slider on your RIA tripod appears to be a Lamson Corp marked peice. Raises some interesting questions.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Allen, that pic of the slider on your RIA tripod appears to be a Lamson Corp marked peice. Raises some interesting questions.
yes it does, so still trying to determine if RIA was rebuilding these with new data plates and serial numbers in 1942 or this one was built in the last batch and Lamson slider added later ?
hopefully greaser and Toolman203 and add there pods/pics to the thread here

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Or they built them with Lamson supplied parts for the sliders. We see that with BCI guns often enough that there is a mix of saginaw produced parts. Granted they were another branch of GM but it does make sense cross supplying sub assemblies. Lamson usually (at least mine did) would stamp the head with the CL stamp on the rear ramp and your RIA is clean enough that I doubt it is buried under the paint. That and your sliders are a welded in part, so unless someone swapped out the rear leg assembly in toto.....Are all the sliders on both legs marked Lamson or just the one?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Ive never seen a Colson Prod M2 tripod. Only M3's. Oh, and shame on those jerks for crossing streams with weird parts that drive collectors crazy. I think they were in on a scheme with the Germans to promote restless nights wondering if your capture screw was a replacement or not. J

1 - 17 of 17 Posts