1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up 500 rounds of 8mm Romanian that is short, i.e. short bullets? They are all head stamped "22" at 12 o'clock and "77" at 6 o'clock. They mike out at 2.993." All my other Romanian 8mm mikes out at 3.138." Both the "short" and "regular" have case lengths of 2.219." It's just the bullets that are short.

All of the "short" stuff is 77 dated and I have not seen any 77 dated stuff in the "regular" ammo. All the "short" stuff is red lacquer sealed at the case mouth and primer. All 500 rounds of "short" stuff are identical and look factory done to me. There are no nicks, scratches, rings, or buffs on the bullets.

Has anyone out there any clue about this "short" 8mm. It's too short to belt load and feed correctly in a Browning, Vickers, or Maxim. It should feed correctly in a bolt gun or MG42/MG34, but I haven't tried any yet.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't pulled them yet. That was my next task.

Have you pulled bullets from both types and weighed them and compared seating depth?

JW

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'm finally getting around to fixing this ammo. I used a Forster bullet puller with a .323 collet and pulled 150 bullets and re-seated the rounds back to the correct depth. Let me tell you that this job is a real *****. When I finish, I'll load up two Vickers belts and shoot them off during our next FA shoot. I'm itching to run my Vickers.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a picture of the funky ammo. The two rounds on the left are the short 8mm Romanian rounds. The third round from the left is a normal full sized Romanian 8mm round we all know and love. The round on the far right is one of the bullet pulled and re-seated rounds. You can clearly see the puller marks and the short seat location.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finished pulling and re-seating all 500 rounds. What a *****! I double checked the overall length of each and every round. Everything checked out OK. I think I'll load the two Vickers belts this weekend. Or just maybe I'll load up some MG34/42 belts and shoot this ammo in an MG34.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Interesting thread. I just looked at my Romanian and it is all "22" and "78" marked, same green cases, same red lacquer, correct seating. Average OAL of five rounds measured 3.1405"

Were the boxes sealed when you got them or were they loose rounds? Is it possible that someone pushed them in to seat them deeper for some reason? I'm looking at the picture you posted and maybe it is the angle but it appears that the tips of the projectiles of the two short rounds and the "fixed" round are not uniform and may be slightly flattened at the tip. Does it seem that way? Is there any 8mm MG that requires the rounds be shorter to feed or chamber?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting thread. I just looked at my Romanian and it is all "22" and "78" marked, same green cases, same red lacquer, correct seating. Average OAL of five rounds measured 3.1405"

Were the boxes sealed when you got them or were they loose rounds? Is it possible that someone pushed them in to seat them deeper for some reason? I'm looking at the picture you posted and maybe it is the angle but it appears that the tips of the projectiles of the two short rounds and the "fixed" round are not uniform and may be slightly flattened at the tip. Does it seem that way? Is there any 8mm MG that requires the rounds be shorter to feed or chamber?
Yea, I noticed the tips too. All seemed to be that way. I got the ammo already loaded in Vickers belts. Two loaded belts were sitting at my buddies shop for many years. He couldn't remember where they came from. He said I could have the ammo if I bought the belts. How could I say no? I unloaded the ammo and used the belts for years. They were fine. I just put the funky ammo in a box, put the box in a corner, and forgot about it. I kept bumping into the box so I decided to 'fix' the ammo. And that I did, finally.

Why somebody would deep re-seat perfectly good factory ammo and load it into Vickers belts is beyond me. I do not know of any Maxim/Vickers belt fed weapon that would correctly feed these short rounds. Yet another example of the danger of drug/alcohol use.

·
Registered
192 Posts
My. Buddies and I got some of the same stuff just recently from classic firearms.

Ran fan as is through a mg34 and Mg15. We had no issues in a mg08/15

We did have to put a block spacer behind the spring on the mg08, once we did that it ran well.

My guess it was dumped on the surplus market because the bullets were seated too short. We saw bo evidence of them being seated properly and then pushed back later.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My. Buddies and I got some of the same stuff just recently from classic firearms.
Ran fan as is through a mg34 and Mg15. We had no issues in a mg08/15
We did have to put a block spacer behind the spring on the mg08, once we did that it ran well.
My guess it was dumped on the surplus market because the bullets were seated too short. We saw bo evidence of them being seated properly and then pushed back later.
Isn't that interesting! Did you shoot it all or do you have a couple rounds still laying around. If you have an unfired round, would you please take a closeup picture of it, please?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Isn't that interesting! Did you shoot it all or do you have a couple rounds still laying around. If you have an unfired round, would you please take a closeup picture of it, please?
once we got any feeding issues related to the short round settle the ammunition fired well. we burned it all up, sorry all gone.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That ain't right

Here is a picture of the funky ammo. The two rounds on the left are the short 8mm Romanian rounds. The third round from the left is a normal full sized Romanian 8mm round we all know and love. The round on the far right is one of the bullet pulled and re-seated rounds. You can clearly see the puller marks and the short seat location.

Those look like damaged rounds, some kind of impact seated them onto the charge.
All Romanian imported is 154, no sence to have different size projectiles.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Makes me wonder if someone didn't purposely seat them deeper to shoot in a barrel that had a short chamber. IIRC there were a number of after market barrels that had short chambers and needed reaming to attain the longer depth for normal 8MM. Pretty sure I have one of them in my barrel rack here as I shoot 8mm in my shorty 8mm S/A 1919. I have a reamer too (I think) but never got around to doing the bbl as I don't shoot the 1919 much anymore.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
The issue was with the case of the Yugo ammo being longer then Romy ammo....There is quite a bit of difference between the OAL of the cases....Only took me a couple top covers and a pair of underpants :eek: to figure that out.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
The issue was with the case of the Yugo ammo being longer then Romy ammo....There is quite a bit of difference between the OAL of the cases....Only took me a couple top covers and a pair of underpants :eek: to figure that out.
:rofl::rofl: Oh yeah....now I remember. The blown top cover statement brought back some purged memories to me here....thanks a lot. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I reseated some 8mm a while back to run in my 7mm Madsen LMG with an 8mm barrel in it. The 7mm mags won't allow the longer 8mm to fit while the rest of the receiver has no problem with it. Rather than buying a lot of commercial 7 mauser which won't cycle the gun I worked up a load with romanian and yugo 8mm that had bullets pulled, powder charges adjusted for the deeper bullet seating and bullets reseated. Worked great in the Madsen. Never tried it in any of the real 8mm guns because I didn't need to....they all work fine with regular 8. Never loaded any vickers belts either. It wasn't me I swear!

Frank

1 - 18 of 18 Posts