1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an M2 kit and it was listed as "everything but the receiver and barrel". Stupid me though that meant everything but the receiver and barrel. It really meant everything not riveted to the original receiver. Like top and bottom plates, trunnion, pawl brackets. From these pics, can anybody tell me what else im missing. The barrel support and back plate assembly are included but not pictured

DSC_3876.jpg DSC_3877.jpg DSC_3879.jpg DSC_3880.jpg DSC_3881.jpg DSC_3882.jpg DSC_3883.jpg

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It looks pretty complete to me, other than the spade grip/trigger. You just need the box to put it in ;) Is it semi-converted?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be building a post sample and a semi. The parts from this should be going to the semi. Nothing is converted yet. Im not too familiar with the M2 yet so just trying to see if anything is missing. I was looking on some sites and am seeing parts that are not included with this, but not sure if they are for when it's converted to feed from the right or if they are for a different configuration.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
semi-build...

Top cover is convertible from right to left hand feed. RSP,LSP,top and bottom plates and a trunion are what is missing from your pic's. Suggest getting your RSP and trigger/sear from KMP and rivets from another site member,MSG (Michael in Milledgeville,GA.)

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
If you are considering building an M2 you really need the expert help of the Army Technical manuals. They will show you the exploded view and the name of each part by major group. Some of these are available for free on line. First check with "liberated Manuals" There are other sources as well. You will be looking for manuals like:

TM 9-1005-213-25 Organizational, Direct Support, General Support and Depot maintenance (July 1968)
TM 9-1005-213-12P Operator and Organizational Maintenance (parts and tools) (Jan 1964)
TM 9-1005-213-10 Operator manual (July 1968)
TM 9-1005-213-23&P Unit and direct support maintenance (including repair parts) March 2002

The dates of the above are not important they are only the ones I have and newer editions may have been published.

Sorry just checked with Liberated Manuals and they don't seem to have anything on the M2 .50 cal.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily i have a very experienced friend helping me on the build who has worked on them almost as long as i have been alive. I just wanted to make sure i had all the parts here before i have them come over to work on it and realize im missing something that needs ordering and time to get here. The parts i didn't see were Retracting Slide Group Left Side Lever Spring, Bolt Latch Bracket, Rear and stop, Link Stripper, trigger lever, Bolt Latch with pins and spring

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sent you a PM Troy

I believe my smith can do the semi mods except if the sear slot needs to be opened up.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,393 Posts
panaceabeachbum,

pic 3 is of Extractor Switch and castle nut , stud is part of the switch 31430.jpg

Breech Lock Cam Stud looks like this 29420.jpg

Yes it looks like he is missing the Sear Stop .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Breech lock cam screw is there. See pic 5.

Sear stop ("accelerator stop') is in pic 7.

Agree w/Panacea about replacing the late breech lock (notched one) with an early one (not notched). This provides about 30% more locking surface. Presently, you have the late "accelerator stop" (inserted from bottom of bolt) and "accelerator stop lock" (attached to accelerator stop from the top of bolt) style setup. To convert to the non-notched style, you will need a non-notched breech lock, the "sear stop and pin" which is inserted from the top of the bolt. See pic for differences.

M2 Barrel Extension Old Style.jpg M2 Bolt Old Style.jpg M2 Barrel Extension New Style.jpg M2 Bolt New Style.jpg

In addition to what was mentioned above for a LH feed M2HB (i.e. trunnion, RH side plate (this is the federally controlled part), LH sideplate, top plate, bottom plate, complete back plate ("spade grip/trigger") to complete the kit, you need:

M2 style cocking bracket (riveted to top plate)
HB barrel support.
barrel support shim of correct size (these are sized from #1 to #12 starting at .0585" (#1) and increasing at .0025" increments. Only one is used per gun)
various cotter pins
about a 3 ft. length of .041 safety wire (for safety wiring the screws on the RSG)

Regarding the bolt latch mechanism, if you want that mechanism (several pieces) you'll need it and the bolt latch release and spring and buffer tube sleeve. The bolt latch release allows single shots in a F A gun but is not necessary for F A operation and is not on many vehicle mounted guns. It fits inside the receiver and requires special tool to install (it has a strong spring). The bolt latch release fits into the back plate (it appears between the thumb tabs of the butterfly trigger) and the sleeve fits over the backplate tube. I have complete bolt latch mechanisms for $65/ea. shipped and may have a spare bolt latch release. Do keep in mind that the bolt latch is not used with the semi-auto M2's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
and youll need a extractor cam which rivets to left plate
Yep, missed that one. If I remember correctly, total parts in an M2HB are over 200 items, down to individual pieces; e.g., rear sight has 10 pieces NOT including the three mounting screws and the sight leaf which in and of itself has at least 6 parts.

One other thing you'll need is a set of rivets to rivet the box together plus the rivets for the extractor cam.

Pretty soon we'll get a complete list.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Who has a good rivet set? I can't remember where i got the one for m 1919 but my guy kept bitching about them the whole time were were working with them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i have a complete set available
trunion, top plate, bottom plate and both brackets

also have another 2 trunions seperat for sale

and 2 complete spade grips/back plate ass.
you can PM me iff intersted
need to ship overseas, but thats no problem.

I purchased an M2 kit and it was listed as "everything but the receiver and barrel". Stupid me though that meant everything but the receiver and barrel. It really meant everything not riveted to the original receiver. Like top and bottom plates, trunnion, pawl brackets. From these pics, can anybody tell me what else im missing. The barrel support and back plate assembly are included but not pictured

View attachment 14854 View attachment 14855 View attachment 14856 View attachment 14857 View attachment 14858 View attachment 14859 View attachment 14860

1 - 20 of 22 Posts