1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
...found...?

This seller must have found several of the 1917A1 tripods in mint,unissued condition...and is selling them by parting out the cradle from the legs. Obviously,he is trying to get the max amount of cash for these...something we all do with items we feel like selling. Whatever the market will bear....and he has had over 15-bids on this set of legs....well over $2K now.

Yep....agree that there are probably 'shill-bidders' doing this. Just emailed ebay to report this obvious improper bidding...and sent the seller an email to advise him of such.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
That $246.53 shipping charge to my zip code turned me off. About five times higher than it should be. From my location I could drive to NC and pick it up for less.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Go into bid history and you will laugh. Someone figured they would go high on a $500 tripod to over come a $350 bid, someone else did the same I am going to bet the $2,300 bidder was happy to be outbid. Or after he and the other threw the big bids he made a shill account to get his reputation off the line.

The 2 high crazy bids have ZERO prior transaction, so both are shills

There is nothing super special I see aside from the nice brass azimuth ring. Early WW2 tripod with a post war strap holder, probably English modification?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
When the high bid got to $350, it started to get driven up by two separate bidders both with ZERO feedback, does shill bidders mean anything? Something fishy here. :(
I doubt if these are shill bidders. The seller needs to pay ~3.5% of sales price to eGhey. At the current bid of $2325, the seller's eGhey fee would be $81.38.

·
Registered
565 Posts
My experience selling on Ebay and 0 feedback bidders is they are quick to bid, and normally impossible to get a hold of after they win the auction. Historically I've always required 0 feedback bidders to contact me b4 bidding or I remove their bid. Don't know if E-bay still allows a seller to do that, but they used to.

I think the odds of the seller actually getting paid for this auction are identical to the feedback this bidder has...

·
Registered
508 Posts
When the auction ends all the seller has to do is to tell ebay the buyer wants to back out and there will be no fees charged by ebay for the auction.

Steve

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If most here think the '17A1 tripod base's bids are nuts, take a look at this insanity:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-T...893686?hash=item233fe601b6:g:dpAAAOSwd4tT~6Ot

This same seller also has some other insanely priced items.

Now if eGhey gave the seller the ids of those following this bid, it would make marketing sense to do this as he would now have a perfectly targeted marketing audience. But, eGhey doesn't provide that. Maybe somebody at eGhey is selling this information. Stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have been watching this and the auction for the cradle for a couple days but didn't know where to post it on this board ( Tripods?, 1919 Full Auto? , 1919 Semi Auto?, Misc Ad Board?, Open Talk?)...

In looking at the seller, they've been on eBay since December 2003 with 100% positive feedback and 1500+ feedbacks: one would think that those aren't shill bidders just idiots but you never know. In looking at the seller's history he primarly sells M1 Carbine and 03A3 parts and Civil War cannon fuses (who buys those?) and the occasional Browning part. These are the first tripods he's listed in looking back at the seller's history to November 2015 which is as far back as you can go on eBay.

I've been trolling for 1917A1 tripods for a few months now and these two auctions defy all reason.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If most here think the '17A1 tripod base's bids are nuts, take a look at this insanity:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-T...893686?hash=item233fe601b6:g:dpAAAOSwd4tT~6Ot

This same seller also has some other insanely priced items.

Now if eGhey gave the seller the ids of those following this bid, it would make marketing sense to do this as he would now have a perfectly targeted marketing audience. But, eGhey doesn't provide that. Maybe somebody at eGhey is selling this information. Stranger things have happened.

I believe for that price I will stick with the beat up one I have now. :)

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
I have been watching this and the auction for the cradle for a couple days but didn't know where to post it on this board ( Tripods?, 1919 Full Auto? , 1919 Semi Auto?, Misc Ad Board?, Open Talk?)...

In looking at the seller, they've been on eBay since December 2003 with 100% positive feedback and 1500+ feedbacks: one would think that those aren't shill bidders just idiots but you never know. In looking at the seller's history he primarly sells M1 Carbine and 03A3 parts and Civil War cannon fuses (who buys those?) and the occasional Browning part. These are the first tripods he's listed in looking back at the seller's history to November 2015 which is as far back as you can go on eBay.

I've been trolling for 1917A1 tripods for a few months now and these two auctions defy all reason.

You are always safe in Open talk, although the moderators have dropped the former practice of having those who mispost drawn and quartered or keelhauled.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
1 - 20 of 83 Posts