1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at some of the 1903A3 "drill" rifles that are available and I was wondering if any of you have restored one? Seems that the barrels are plugged/welded so I would assume I will need to re-barrel it. The description mentions bolt face welded so I guess I need a new bolt, and the receiver looks to have a spot weld on it so maybe I could clean that up?

Seems if I need a new barrel, bolt, and maybe even receiver it would either be cheaper to buy a complete rifle out-right or build one without getting a drill rifle.

Need in-put!

2nd:D

· Registered
12 Posts
03A3 project

5 years ago, when you could get the $10 03A3 drill actions from the CMP, I built one. The most expensive part was the stock which cost $65. I got the barrel, complete bolt, trigger guard and most other small parts from e-gay with all the small pins, screws, bolts and sight parts coming from Sarco. I lucked up on my receiver, when they welded the barrel to the the front face, they completely missed the receiver. I simply screwed the barrel off the receiver, no grinding, very nice! The mag cut-off was tack welded in place, but was easily milled out. When all complete I had about $200 in the rifle and no one could tell that it had been a de-mill until I told them. Depending on the cost of the receiver, this can be a very worth while project if you have the patiance to search for deals on the parts.

· Registered
172 Posts
I have 4 1903a3 drill rifles that have been restored. They were tacked welded to the reciever, bolt face, the mag cut off. it does take a little while to remove all the welds. Sarco has brand new barrels for the 1903a3 barrels still new in the wrapper both types 2 and 4 groove.all other parts you can get from e-gunparts.com. Best price i have seen and bought with great results is from dupage trading for 195.00 for the complete rifle. I have about 400 in each rifle that i done and i wouldnt trade them for anything in the world they get mostly looks and cleaned but every once in a blue moon they get a chance to shine on the firing line.

Here is a link to dupage trading
http://www.dupagetrading.com/firearms.htm

and numeric gun parts.

http://e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=2070zSPRINGFIELD 1903A3

If you have a couple of old SGN magazines laying around you can get the part number for the new barrels off of the old magazines they stay the same.

Also a mauser action wrench will fit the 03a3 actions and will allow you to remove the old barrel off just make sure your bolt is out of the action.

· Registered
9 Posts
If the receiver has been welded, it is imprudent in the extreme to rebuild one of these rifles into a shooter.

If it doesn't blow up on you, what about the next n owners, none of whom will know that that the receiver heat treatment has been compromised?

It's one thing to risk your pretty face, quite another to risk those of successive owners because you did something questionable.

One thing I would suggest as a safe alternative, is to turn these into ersatz M1922 rifles, in .22 LR.

Now there's an interesting project!

Kirk

· Registered
2,862 Posts
If only the bolt face and cut-off is welded, I don't understand how this would weaken the receiver lug area with the proper replacement of the bolt. However, the welded rod in the barrel (I assume the chamber area) might be a cause for concern. Am I wrong?

· Registered
9 Posts
If only the bolt face and cut-off is welded, I don't understand how this would weaken the receiver lug area with the proper replacement of the bolt. However, the welded rod in the barrel (I assume the chamber area) might be a cause for concern. Am I wrong?
You can't know how hot the receiver got when they welded on the barrel (slug in the chamber, and, typically, on the joint of the barrel and the bottom of the receiver).

You can be sure, however, that they did not care how hot the receiver got during the process.

Prudence, people.

How many bucks is your pretty face worth?

How about your eyesight?

· Registered
2,862 Posts
I agree. This makes me wonder about the rewelded M1 Garand reveivers that used to float around and what about all of the welding on the rebuilt Bren receivers? Just asking and not suggesting using a weakened 1903 receiver.

· Registered
564 Posts
It really depends on how you are challenged by it

I got a lot of satisfaction rebuilding my 1903A3 from the bare bones barreled action to a complete rifle. It was my first build and I learned every facet of its technical design and long history. It is not the most valuable Springfield, but then, it is my first. Yet I added on anotherm and another. A recent CMP rifle prompted me to buy a new made stock by Boyd's. What a mistake. I never finished that one. The Boyd's stock requires too much work to get right, and it is simply not worth the (my) time and expense, when I could had bought a $1000 rifle for instant satisfaction. So it all depends on you and how you feel up to the challenge.

· Registered
172 Posts
there is another one in shotgun news everynow and then they post then its hunters lodge but they want 400 dollars for the same drill rifle that dupage wants 200 for and they are the same shape and condition i bought one from them and 4 from dupage and the stocks were in vg condition giving the amount of age on them they will have handling wear and some dings in the stock but if you want a perfect military issue stock Sarco Inc sells Unisssued mil semi pistol grip stocks for 200.00. a friend of mine wanted one of mine so instead of having 5 i only have 4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.