1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not for sale now

Going to take this off the site for now and build it.
IMG_0470.JPG IMG_0459.JPG IMG_0460.JPG I have a 1919a4 Izzy parts kit for sale with or without the right side plate. I had got it off this site a couple of years ago but never got around to building it. Here are the markings that I found on it.
Barrel 7.62, 3-76 with an O under that and a C in a circle
Left side plate 7.62 with an upside down U
Bottom plate had numbers an RIA
Bolt 7.62
Top Plate has an upside down U
Trunnion has a V on it
Booster cap two upside down U and 13.5

The right side plate was made by Buffalo Arms Corp, Buffalo , New Your, USA on one side and Dixson Machine, St Helens Oregon, Semi-Auto 30 cal on inside.

I'm asking $1200 for the kit or $1400 for the kit and the right side plate plus shipping and to your FFL. I know I'm a Ammo Bearer but been hanging around in the background for a few years.
Let me know what you think.
Thank you

Greg AKA "AirbornInfantry" 21 years retired First Sergeant

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Greg post pics of the bottom plate numbering. Its a desireable bottom plate but your left side plate does not appear to be original to that bottom plate. Either that or the cams were replaced. Check the bottom inside edge of the left side plate for a channel cut to just in front of where the bottom plate would be.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Greg, I think we're both newbies here so I don't think I can PM you, what part of southern Indiana are you at? How far approx. from Cincinnati?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
The gun started life as a 1917 and was converted to A4. It appears to be a later war conversion by the bottom plate used and the fact the sight riser does not appear to be marked with the RIA of early conversions. The bottom plate itself is unique because it had its original rollmark hashered out with the newer -2 extension. I would have to look it up but guessing later at the earliest after 1942. Both left cams were replaced in a rebuild, if the theory of the 2 dots in the bottom plate is correct this gun had 2 ovrhauls in its service life beyond its conversion

I need to check those dates again though, I also need to fact check, this may actually be an earlier pre MP bottom plate. Huge difference. Any marks on top of trunnion?

Can you verify the hashered out numbers on the bottom plate?

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
Here is the excitement and confusion D37887-RIA drawing is for converting 1917 and was dated July 12, 1940. D35392-2 RIA the requirement for imprinting it is 1-19-42. It would appear they took an earlier left over plate modified it to the later style and remarked it. Pretty cool

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Well, I don't know how deep you want to get into this, just to satisfy guys like me and GSG, lol. But the question I have is related to the specs for the grooves in the bottom plate where the side plates seat. The major difference between the D37887 and D35392 bottom plates lies in that groove. The variation is based on new steel plates versus disassembled WWI plates, where the height is no longer to spec, but somewhat shorter. So if you wanted to go to the trouble, with a caliper, we could give you the specs to measure to see which it matches. Of course, you may just want to sell your kit and not be bothered by all us silly people with historical, academic curiosities! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lucky#13
Send me the numbers because you have me wondering about it now. One never knows what they have until they show it to others.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Is there anything on the barrel shroud near either the screw hole or on the opposite end? Also does the top plate have anything on it?

Kyle

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,236 Posts
Lucky#13
Send me the numbers because you have me wondering about it now. One never knows what they have until they show it to others.
Thanks
Okay, here ya go. What it comes down to is just the floor of the groove being about .020" higher. So you can try measuring from both the inside floor of the bottom plate to the groove depth, and from the bottom of the plate to the groove depth. That last may vary since the bottom of the plates are not a critical dimension, and perhaps not as reliable. But the inside floor to the groove bottom should be within a strict tolerance.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
If you clean the belt holding pawl bracket, the front recess where the blank guide mounts and look down on the top of the recessed area you may see a circle w mark. You may need a strong light though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, here ya go. What it comes down to is just the floor of the groove being about .020" higher. So you can try measuring from both the inside floor of the bottom plate to the groove depth, and from the bottom of the plate to the groove depth. That last may vary since the bottom of the plates are not a critical dimension, and perhaps not as reliable. But the inside floor to the groove bottom should be within a strict tolerance.

The numbers were a little off but not much
Thank you

1 - 20 of 23 Posts