1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vickers Water Cooled 1942 Fluted water jacket Semi Project Gun side plate build in excellent condition in .303 cal. Finish is parkerized on gun and painted green on jacket. Im not sure of its origin but believe it might be Australian as per research. I do see some MA marking on internal parts. It also has a excellent .303 cal spare barrel and 2 sloth belts not seen in pictures. Tripod is refinished in working order. Comes with ammo box, hose and box hanger as shown in pictures. Showing it here for the group before going to GB. $7,800 plus you pay the shipping & insurance cost to your FFL.
PM me if you have questions or are interested in it. I will check PM's
Rob

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Beautiful gun! Must be the first one of the five assembled by Stan, Lonnie, and Gordie. You know it's built right with those guys involved. Only one in the bunch was 8mm and it belongs to a friend of mine. Someone better grab it as it's a good price and these have dried up.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
What's the serial number on the top of the trunnion? I believe I am correct in this but Lithgow (Australian marked "MA") never manufactured fluted jacked Vickers guns. They might have refurbished some British build guns with spare parts fluted jackets. If the fluted water jacket is in fact dated '42, it might be a WWII V-Series British gun. I have a fluted jacket V-Series gun dated '42 that I built as an SA using Lithgow (Australian) parts on the receiver box -- it's a "Heinz 57" but shoots well. What you have here is a nice looking gun.

·
Premium Member
6,952 Posts
That is a beauty Rob (drooling) for those of you that don't know Rob he is a great guy and absolutely a stand up to boot! Whom ever gets this is going to be very very happy.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the serial number on the top of the trunnion? I believe I am correct in this but Lithgow (Australian marked "MA") never manufactured fluted jacked Vickers guns. They might have refurbished some British build guns with spare parts fluted jackets. If the fluted water jacket is in fact dated '42, it might be a WWII V-Series British gun. I have a fluted jacket V-Series gun dated '42 that I built as an SA using Lithgow (Australian) parts on the receiver box -- it's a "Heinz 57" but shoots well. What you have here is a nice looking gun.
The speculation of origin came from http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/
Under....Markings>Serial number and looking at what it could have been.
The parts was as is, nothing added so it was plate removed de-milled long ago and its as is. Perhaps some other with more knowledge would shed more light on this
Rob

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
The speculation of origin came from http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/
Under....Markings>Serial number and looking at what it could have been.
The parts was as is, nothing added so it was plate removed de-milled long ago and its as is. Perhaps some other with more knowledge would shed more light on this
Rob
Regardless what it is, I predict this won't last long. As Russ and others have said it is a beauty.
Whomever buys it will be one lucky individual and won't be saying "I once had a chance to buy a semi Vickers for $7800." :rofl:
Watch what they sell for in a couple years guys.
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
FYI. Your water jacket with Serial Number A9533 was made between 1917 and 1918 by Vickers Sons & Maxim in Crayford and Erith, England. The marks with '42 on the front end cap were the year the gun was overhauled.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I tend to agree with OldSoldier and think this is probably a "Heinz 57" gun built off of a Lithgow (Australian) 1940's era vintage parts kit with a British Erith January 1918 manufactured fluted water jacket added (the '42 marking on the water jacket is probably an inspection date and armorers code not a manufacture date). This would be an easy method of building a fluted semi gun. It gives you a very nice condition gun, probably the only thing I would do is replace the armored MK2 front muzzle cone with the flat MK1 cone used on WWI guns. While it is a project gun engraved RH side plate, what is interesting is that the picture I have of all the guns built by project guns have smooth water jackets and none were fluted, although I believe he built 6 guns and that may be the 6th one as the paint color, fit and finish look like his work. Just my humble opinion.

Pipe Steel casing pipe Auto part Metal Machine

"A" Series guns JAN/MAR 1918 Serial numbers A9520 - A9999

1 - 11 of 11 Posts