1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is the first of a few item that I am putting up for sale to fund my next projects (build of my 1928 Colt WC and purchase of a Maxim parts kit). I figured I would offer it to my fellow forum members and if it doesn't sell I will move it to GB.

This is a Chinese made ZB26 kit in fair condition (typical condition for most ZB's and Maxim's from China). The receiver is in very good condition, the receiver pieces are all from the same receiver and no critical areas were damaged when it was cut. There is minimal slag and there will be no problem re-welding it and using it for a semi-auto build.

The barrel has a small part of an old shell casing in the chamber which can be easily removed, I do not know if it is 8MM or 7.62x39MM. The wood stock is in pretty good condition but the barrel grip wood handle is badly chipped. The pistol grip in the picture came with the kit when I bought it but is for a Bren I think.

It is reasonably complete. I believe it is missing the following parts; pistol grip, return spring rod & spring, butt plate, and a few pins/springs.

There is a guy on GB right now selling a similar condition ZB26 (but with better barrel and with magazines) for $2,950 or buy it now for $3,300. I think mine is worth the $1,200 plus actual shipping (estimate about $25 to $30) that I am asking.

DSC_3309.jpg DSC_3312.jpg DSC_3313.jpg DSC_3310.jpg DSC_3311.jpg

I am trying to price all these items fairly, I think they are all interesting items and I am selling them because either my interests or the reason I bought them has changed over the years. I am not particularly interested in trades (or partial trades), but if you have a Maxim kit, panoramic sight for a 1928 Colt WC, or some unusual Vickers accessories I will certainly listen.

First I will take it followed by a PM will get it. I would appreciate it if you ask me any questions up front. SOLD, SPF to Czechsix

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Redroth, This is sure to be gone soon. That is good because it is killing me as I want to say I'll take it.
I have too many irons in the fire at the moment or I would say it. It is worth every penny your asking too.
Beautiful kit. If this last the weekend I may have to just add another iron to that fire. :eek:
Bump for a terrific seller and awesome kit.
CaptMax

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redroth, This is sure to be gone soon. That is good because it is killing me as I want to say I'll take it.
I have too many irons in the fire at the moment or I would say it. It is worth every penny your asking too.
Beautiful kit. If this last the weekend I may have to just add another iron to that fire. :eek:
Bump for a terrific seller and awesome kit.
CaptMax
Like you, I have a limited pot of money to spend. All the items I am putting out this weekend are going to be desirable and fairly priced I think. Need to get the 1928 Colt built and would love a Maxim gun.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FWIW, it has a 7.62x39 ejector. I would think it would be worth test-fitting 7.62mm and 8mm bullets in the muzzle to confirm which barrel you have.
If I was to guess I would say 8MM as I believe the 7.62x39MM barrels were all chrome lined. I believe the Chinese Communists sleeved the barrels by boring out an 8MM barrel ZB26 barrel and inserted a turned down chrome lined SKS barrel inside. This one is not chrome lined. I have to dig out some 8MM ammo.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
> I believe the Chinese Communists sleeved the barrels by boring out an 8MM barrel ZB26 barrel and inserted a turned down chrome lined SKS barrel inside. This one is not chrome lined. I have to dig out some 8MM ammo.<

A few observations. The lined barrels are easily identified by the circular seam at the breech and at the muzzle.
The 7.92 barrels were bored out leaving a quite thin wall, about 3/32" +/- at either end.
I have several 7.62 Chinese ZB barrels that are not chrome lined so they are not all chromed. Further, liners were not made from SKS barrels, as the ZB barrels are 23.75" long and SKS barrels are only 20.5".
In my opinion, the liners were purpose made.
Some of the 7.62 barrels I own are numbered in the low and middle 200,000 plus range with some much higher. Liners are about 3/4" OD at the breech and 5/8" OD at the muzzle and I suspect they are straight with a short breech section that is slightly wider.
The 7.62 boosters are different on the inside. 7.92 boosters have a cone just past the muzzle threads that reduces to an exit hole slightly larger than the bore before opening out into the the flash hider. The 7.62 have a flat disc just past the muzzle threads with an exit hole slightly larger than the bore.
I have an NFA Chinese ZB that was set up in 7.92 with matching barrel. I have converted it to 7.62, but find that only a few of the barrels I have will reliably fire that round. Not sure what is the issue, but might chase it down sometime.
Hope this helps.

Bob Naess

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Damn nice kit! I have a Chinese Maxim kit I am selling that would go great with it!

I am surprised it lasted this long!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Oh, what the heck...

PM sent, and I'll take it.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn nice kit! I have a Chinese Maxim kit I am selling that would go great with it!

I am surprised it lasted this long!
I have seen pictures of your Chinese Maxim kit on GB. The kit is nice, the tripod that comes with it is magnificent! I have a number of nice condition tripods, none have the eye appeal of your Chinese Maxim tripod, although if I have to hump it in the field, give me the U.S. M2.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
> I believe the Chinese Communists sleeved the barrels by boring out an 8MM barrel ZB26 barrel and inserted a turned down chrome lined SKS barrel inside. This one is not chrome lined. I have to dig out some 8MM ammo.<

A few observations. The lined barrels are easily identified by the circular seam at the breech and at the muzzle.
The 7.92 barrels were bored out leaving a quite thin wall, about 3/32" +/- at either end.
I have several 7.62 Chinese ZB barrels that are not chrome lined so they are not all chromed. Further, liners were not made from SKS barrels, as the ZB barrels are 23.75" long and SKS barrels are only 20.5".
In my opinion, the liners were purpose made.
Some of the 7.62 barrels I own are numbered in the low and middle 200,000 plus range with some much higher. Liners are about 3/4" OD at the breech and 5/8" OD at the muzzle and I suspect they are straight with a short breech section that is slightly wider.
The 7.62 boosters are different on the inside. 7.92 boosters have a cone just past the muzzle threads that reduces to an exit hole slightly larger than the bore before opening out into the the flash hider. The 7.62 have a flat disc just past the muzzle threads with an exit hole slightly larger than the bore.
I have an NFA Chinese ZB that was set up in 7.92 with matching barrel. I have converted it to 7.62, but find that only a few of the barrels I have will reliably fire that round. Not sure what is the issue, but might chase it down sometime.
Hope this helps.

Bob Naess
Hi Bob,
Your knowledge of this and most other vintage machine guns and accessories never ceases to amaze me and your comments are always appreciated by me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts