1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a fairly large quantity of fired and re-cast bullet lead (range collected), it’s in 1lb ingots .
I have over 1,000lbs available and it’s currently broken down as follows;
5 .50cal ammo cans @ 100 ingots each
2 wood ammo crates @ 250 ingots each
2 large cast pieces 1 @ 57lbs & 1 @ 58lbs
Price for the lead is $1.00 per pound.

In addition I have 2 .50cal cans of linotype, some ingots and some still in type form.
1 can @ 50lbs and 1 can @ 60lbs
Price for the linotype is 2.00 per pound.

Lyman mag 20 furnace
$50.00

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's one of those things that just "is" I guess! Sorry I can't answer your question its just always been that way as far as AI know. I assume production/processing/availability.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Of course shipping is the kicker. I wonder what size flat rate box it would take to ship 70 lbs, the maximum for the USPS? Do you have any idea?

Priority Mail 2-Day™ Large Flat Rate USPS-Produced Box: 23-11/16" x 11-3/4" x 3" or 12" x 12" x 5-1/2" costs $18.75,

Priority Mail 2-Day™ Medium Flat Rate USPS-Produced Box: 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-3/8" or 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" costs $13.45, and a

Priority Mail 2-Day™ Small Flat Rate USPS-Produced Box: 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" costs only $6.80.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indianapolis area

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
i know you can stick 70lbs of linotype in a squard large flat rate box with just enough room for an extra layer of cardboard on the top/bottom.

I was to say 18 of the ignots will fit inside of a small flat rate box too.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'll take a large flat rate box of linotype
a large flat rate box of bullet lead
the furnace.

let me know total

karl

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The problem with shipping in the flat rate boxes is durability.
Just because it will fit in the box there's no guarantee the box will survive the trip etc.
Let me talk to the guys at the P.O. and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Hershmeister SEZ: " Your postal carrier will hate you...." So will the person unintentionally receiving it

Mouse SEZ: ".... no guarantee the box will survive the trip ...." Lotsa duct tape will do it.

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
89 Posts
rugman sent me i think 3000 9mm cast bullets once, flat rate box survived the trip and it was interesting watching the mailman carry that box to the front door. more like waddling to the door with his arms stretched to his knees. lol

·
Mouse Machine Works
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I counted out and packaged 65lbs of ingots, I used some blue board to take up any open space in the package and over taped it in all directions. I had spoken to the guys at the post office and they asked me to bring it in and they would take a look. Short story, it weighed in at slightly under 70lbs, the clerk picks up the package waist high, drops it and it promptly breaks open, he declares it not shippable…. I looked at the guy and said “you gotta be fucking kidding me”?
He said “Nope”, if it won’t stand that drop it definitely won’t make the trip.
Even though it’s complete BS I’m not going to fight with them, it’s a no win situation…

·
12,505 Posts
Waist hight drop test is fairly standard in the retail market. At work we do many drops to prove shipping viability.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Well, it was worth the try, though. I knew a guy who worked the night shift during Xmas holidays three or four years in a row at a central PO transfer point. When packages were marked "fragile" some of the guys would 'drop kick' them into the bins to make sure they were packaged well. I too, have gotten boxes of bullets (USPS? UPS?, FEDEX?) into the thousands which have made the trip well. I'd certainly go with what 'the boys in the back' think. Many thanks for trying to save us some bucks to spend at the Creek!

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'm still interested in linotype, lead, and heat pot IF you can find an inexpensive ship method.

Karl

·
Registered
966 Posts
Out of curiosity, why is the Linotype more expensive?
late to the show, and pardon my remarks, but linotype isn't lead. It's a lead alloy. The tin and antimony are the cost adders. Likely not justified when you do a percentage volume to cost calculation, but in the boolit casting world it's good stuff and desirable, especially if you are trying to make a home-made version of Lyman #2 alloy. As lead wheel-weights fade into the sunset, other similar scrap alloys value begins to pick up. HTH

B-D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts