1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very Nice Late WWII NOS Vickers MG Tripod Azimuth Dial

I was digging through storage looking for 1928 colt parts and found this little gem.

This is a very nice NOS MK II Vickers MG Azimuth dial that fits on tripod body just below the cross head (cradle). It is a late war replacement that has never been mounted on a tripod. The outer azimuth wheel turns like butter. Has clear manufacturer and war department markings.

It is perfect for converting a Turkish tripod to original British configuration or replacing a worn/bent/frozen one which are very difficult to repair. Any discoloration seen is just tarnish or preservative from being in a warehouse for 70+ years, will polish up beautifully.

I am asking $250 plus actual insured shipping to the buyer’s location for this rare item. A very hard to find item when you need one.
Auto part Circle Metal Flange Auto part Metal Rotor Plumbing fitting

Please ask any questions before you say you will take it. First “I will take it”, followed up with a PM gets it.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Nice one. Too bad this wasn't around when I was fixing the bent dial on one of my pods. I'm almost tempted to buy it as a spare but my bride would kill me.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Wow, where do you find this stuff redroth? That is a beauty.
Yes Brian I believe you could use this one but redroth would know for sure.
If mine wasn't nice or I hadn't just bought stuff from you I would jump on this just to have an extra!
Not you like you can run down to Walmart and pick up a dozen. :rofl:
BTT, CaptMax

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this the one I need for this tripod or is the proper one different? View attachment 15897 View attachment 15898
Hi Brian,
Let me address it this way. The NOS azimuth dial is the same as the one on the tripod on the left.

Having said that, the tripod on the right is a Turkish modified tripod. It had a unique Turkish azimuth dial which kind of looks like a large brass dinner plate. Your tripod body and legs appear to be US Colt M1915 but I am not sure what your cradle is off of. If you look just above the rear elevation wheel you will see an elevation index in white metal (I have never seen that before, a Dolf question).

It all depends what you want to do with the tripod, if you wish to restore it as a Turkish tripod this would not be the correct azimuth ring. If you wish the tripod to mimic a British tripod this would be satisfactory. I am pretty sure it will fit.

It would be best to take the one off your other tripod and test fit it. The right side (Turkish) bracket might need to be removed from the cradle also, these were only found on Turkish tripods.

Anyway, let me know if I can be of service with this new azimuth dial or with a used all brass WWI dial I have lying around.

Yeah I know, I got way too much stuff!

Regards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts