1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's right, P-38 Can Openers! ;)

01.28.16_004.JPG 01.28.16_005.JPG

Stumbled across a few of these, new production (brand new), not an expert on these, but they line up and look just like the original P38 I got out of an old MRE pack years ago. Everybody needs some of these, for your keychain, one on the boat, in your glove box...you never know when you have to open a can of peaches or to open a bottle of beer! :rofl:These things are small, so shipping will typically be more than just one item, so here's the price structure for these:

1.) Six pack.........................$8 shipped (conus)
2.) Ten or more....................$1 each, plus shipping (typically around $3 for up to 75)

3.) Add one to anything else I have for sale...........................$1 each, Free Shipping

Here's the link to my Small Parts thread if you need something else to combine shipping: http://1919a4.com/showthread.php?50571-WTS-Spare-Parts

Thank you, Matt

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check the USPS and see what the rate is on quantities (10-20-30).......I could see getting some. That's great find. Bullet

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! It's been decades since I've seen these in C-Rations and MCIs. I never knew they were also in MREs?
I'm sure my terminology is wrong, it's been a long time and I never served. Brother gave me an open box and had one in it along with a tin of "John Wayne candy". He was in the Army. That was years ago and who knows how long he had it laying around before he gave it to me. All I really know for sure is, it is USGI. :rofl:...........my old one is stamped "speaker", if that means anything.

Matt

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
These are handy to have around -- carried one on my key-ring for several years until it stabbed me in the leg so many times I said F*** it! :eyecrazy:

Carry On!
Gary
><>

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
These things really are great to have around. They really are a lost art form. None of my Soldiers today would know how to use one. None of them know how to use the can opener on a multi-tool for that matter....

We are all issued Gerber multi tools now. I happened upon 3 of my Soldiers trying to pierce a can of Ravioli with the knife opened while hitting the other end of the tool with their palm. The can must have had about 36 little stab marks across the top. I casually took the tool from them, opened the little can opener tool, wedged my way around the perimeter of the can and then handed them back their now opened can of lunch. They were dumbfounded.

·
BeltFed GURU
4,394 Posts
ScottD,
Really want to blow their minds :firedevil: Ya don`t need no stinking tool but a concrete or flat rough surface a brick ,side walk ,...rub the end of the can vigorously and in some cases less than 30 second later turn the rubbed end of the can up wards and squeeze a bit and the can lid will pop out simple .
So very primitive but extremely effective ,most would Never even think of it ......... You can open any roll crimped metal container this way with out losing one drop of the the contents and amazingly quickly .....

I have a few of the P 38`s around shame i cannot even afford this offer :(:( or i would love a few ,such is life but i got`s a concrete block :D :D:D !

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I've had one of these clipped on my key ring for many years now. Seems like I use it at least twice a year. Nice to have.

Gary the trick is to keep it tucked between a couple of larger keys / key heads.....it stays folded there for me. I use to hook my finger on it when reaching for the keys on a belt hook.

·
Registered
5,117 Posts
These are handy to have around -- carried one on my key-ring for several years until it stabbed me in the leg so many times I said F*** it! :eyecrazy:

Carry On!
Gary
><>
Ha ha, I have a nice scar in the center of my chest. Used to wear it on my lower dog tag chain while in the army. I was moving between buildings in city fighting and had a tremendous blast (the kind the concussion makes you lose focus with your eyes) rock the other side of the building I was hugging as I was moving. I grabbed the concrete expecting stuff to be coming my way. The damn p38 had opened up while I was crouch running and the body armor upon grabbing some real estate drove the blade in. At the time it hurt but it didnt seem a big deal since I had more important stuff to do, by the time I was able to examine it it just looked like a scratch. I guess the scar indicates it was a little deeper than i thought at the time.:lol:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha! I never leave home without mine. Now I have one stashed everywhere.......but then again, I'm the guy who keeps eating utensils in the glove box and tackle box. :D

Matt

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
brassmagnet SEZ: ".... keep it tucked between a couple of larger keys ...."J

I used to be a Boy Scout. You know, "be prepared" and all that. Wanted to always have what I 'needed' close at hand. Could even make a fire with two sticks and a string, a magnifying glass, all that BS stuff. My keyring began to look like the school janitor's! Spark plug gapper? Swiss Army knife? Can opener?

Now I've pared it down -- car key, house key, motorcycle key. If I need the other stuff, it's in a wood wine box in the trunk of the car, in the workshop, etc., or I just "make do." Just tried the "can of tomatoes on the concrete trick" and it didn't work. OK, so back to the ol' "Stab around the edges with the Army knife" trick which works just fine for me, and about as fast at the P-38.

See ya round the Campfire,
Gary
><>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts