1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just finished purchasing a very nice semi-auto Maxim 09/21 and tripods from fellow Forum member Waorani and need to build up some cash reserves so a few more things need to go.

These are for the Colt 1928 Water Cooled MG:

The first assembly is as follows:
Genuine Colt left hand side plate serial number 228, plate is in generally good condition with feed pawl, cams, pintle, and breech lock cam but has a crack on the inside and slight bend by front of feed pawl bracket on the inside which is repairable. Plate has attached panoramic scope mount (serial number 308) and comes with attached and matching serial number 228 top and bottom plates. Has a Colt but non-matching number (serial number 178) gun mount bracket but is missing the four attachment screws.

I am asking what I think is an extremely good price of $250 plus actual shipping costs to the buyer’s location. SOLD to THE DUKE - PAID and Shipped

Metal

The second assembly is as follows:
Genuine Colt left hand side plate serial number 374, plate is in generally good condition with feed pawl, cams, pintle, gun mount bracket, and breech lock cam but has a crack on the inside by front of feed pawl bracket on the inside which is repairable. Plate has attached panoramic scope mount (serial number 326) and comes with attached and matching serial number 374 top and bottom plates.

I am asking what I think is an extremely good price of $275 plus actual shipping costs to the buyer’s location. SOLD to WESTERN IRON - PAID and Shipped

Hardware accessory Metal

Note: If one person buys both plates, I will ship them both for free. Happy to take additional photos.

Please ask any questions before you say you will take it. First “I will take it”, followed up with a PM gets it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just finished purchasing a very nice semi-auto Maxim 09/21 and tripods from fellow Forum member Waorani and need to build up some cash reserves so a few more things need to go.

These are for the Colt 1928 Water Cooled MG:

The first assembly is as follows:
Genuine Colt left hand side plate serial number 228, plate is in generally good condition with feed pawl, cams, pintle, and breech lock cam but has a crack on the inside and slight bend by front of feed pawl bracket on the inside which is repairable. Plate has attached panoramic scope mount (serial number 308) and comes with attached and matching serial number 228 top and bottom plates. Has a Colt but non-matching number (serial number 178) gun mount bracket but is missing the four attachment screws.

I am asking what I think is an extremely good price of $250 plus actual shipping costs to the buyer’s location.

View attachment 15134 View attachment 15135 View attachment 15136 View attachment 15137

The second assembly is as follows:
Genuine Colt left hand side plate serial number 374, plate is in generally good condition with feed pawl, cams, pintle, gun mount bracket, and breech lock cam but has a crack on the inside by front of feed pawl bracket on the inside which is repairable. Plate has attached panoramic scope mount (serial number 326) and comes with attached and matching serial number 374 top and bottom plates.

I am asking what I think is an extremely good price of $275 plus actual shipping costs to the buyer’s location.

View attachment 15138 View attachment 15139 View attachment 15140 View attachment 15141

Note: If one person buys both plates, I will ship them both for free. Happy to take additional photos.

Please ask any questions before you say you will take it. First “I will take it”, followed up with a PM gets it.
I'll take 374.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I'll take the other one

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
Brad, I may know where another is for sale. Haven't seen it, but my understanding is that it is missing a part or two. Sight bracket is not there, for sure. Has cams I am told, not sure on the pawl bracket, but I've got an extra one if that helps. Let me see if I can sort that out, if you want me to follow up on it.

Now the sad part here... for me. After having many discussions with redroth about 1928 parts, etc, and knowing he had these two plates that would eventually be up for sale, I never thought to ask the serial numbers. My water jacket is 374! :rolleyes:

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,239 Posts
LOL, I actually called my wife to check the numbers as soon as I saw the ad, cause it sounded familiar. Mine is 384 (& 170). Interested in selling it or trading?
Ha, you read my mind! Thinking trade here. Let me dig out what I have, as I don't recall the number. Have one Colt LSP with a crack right at the front top plate rivet. I'll get pics and send them by e-mail.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Where are the numbers on the jackets
I couldn't find anything on mine
Except a number on top of trunion that is the same
On both??

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Where are the numbers on the jackets
I couldn't find anything on mine
Except a number on top of trunion that is the same
On both??
That is where they are numbered Duke on top of the jacket. Do you have two jackets with the same number? That means twins lol and it sounds expensive
:tongue: check the steam tubes as well because that number should match the jacket but if you got them at the last sale OOW had then they probably won't match because they were all mixed up at that point.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
That is where they are numbered Duke on top of the jacket. Do you have two jackets with the same number? That means twins lol and it sounds expensive
:tongue: check the steam tubes as well because that number should match the jacket but if you got them at the last sale OOW had then they probably won't match because they were all mixed up at that point.
Russ

01.064....is what I have. On both ( double checking )
That seems like a part #

Its just in front of where top cover bolt/pin/hinge hole is. On "top ".

I'm not seeing anything on steam tube & the other one is missing the tube.

Other one is up in the shop...I'm headed up to check it again.

I think the 2 have different thread sizes for the "gland" bushing or whatever its called. Part the bbl sticks through.

On a side note...why do you suppose so many of these plates have cracks in various places?

Never noticed that on but 1 1919 plate of mine which was previously a 1917 ...and the crack is in yet another location "pawl spring hole" & some spider cracks around lower large trunion rivet.

Is it the demill process where this damage is done?

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Dan those are Argentine numbers and the steam tubes were marked in a few different spots so they are hard to find sometimes. The cracked plates were probably a combination of both use or de mill it is hard to say without seeing them but my guess on the 28's would be how they de milled them or who (drunk monkeys) and there is nothing worse than rough de mills

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Dan those are Argentine numbers and the steam tubes were marked in a few different spots so they are hard to find sometimes. The cracked plates were probably a combination of both use or de mill it is hard to say without seeing them but my guess on the 28's would be how they de milled them or who (drunk monkeys) and there is nothing worse than rough de mills

Ok ....I'm a dumass

found some numbers but I still think they are not right.

On the right side of trunion...in the middle...just aft of the rib that fits in the front slot of the RSP.

one is 64
the other 164

both have the 01.164 on top......WRONG the other is 01.064

where else do I look?...found

Is there any on the jacket itself? or just the cap/trunion..brass parts?

Apparently I have 64 & 164....what a pita.....Reading and remembering is Important.

Too many trips back and forth to the shop.:mad:

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok ....I'm a dumass

On the right side of trunion...in the middle...just aft of the rib that fits in the front slot of the RSP.

one is 64
the other 164

Apparently I have 64 & 164....what a pita.....Reading and remembering is Important.

The 01.XXX signifies it is an Argentinian (built under Colt license) produced gun or part. The XXX typically is the serial number. There are no numbers on the jacket (exterior) the numbers are on the brass (cap & trunnion) parts of the water jacket only. Most Colt jackets have a steel insert in the trunnion the Argentinian ones are solid brass. I have seen exceptions where the Colt marked trunnion did not have a steel insert, perhaps the trunnion was replaced during its life time. Most Colt parts also have an "R" inside of a circle stamped on them also. I am not an expert on these but I enough parts around to have seen a reasonable amount of variations and similarities. As far as the muzzle glands go, the 1928 Colt and the US model 1917 Browning water cooled guns have different thread sizes.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Ok ....I'm a dumass

one is 64
the other 164

Dan look on the underside of the jacket where the tube meets the front end cap and you should find numbers stamped there as well. Russ

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Should I buy a lottery ticket

So I believe I have 64 & 164

Add em up

= 228

What plate did I end up with by chance...# 228

Not by choice..I was scrambling trying to find #'s last night before committing to buy..got confused..duh

Woulda bought Luckys (maybe) plate...ended up here.

Damit I might have to build twins after all:help:

Top covers are gonna kill me for these:D

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
Dan is that added up number 228 or is it 2 28's lol I can help with the top covers brother so have no fear you know I love to help[ guys spend their money :tongue:

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Dan look on the underside of the jacket where the tube meets the front end cap and you should find numbers stamped there as well. Russ

Well it gets even stranger..

The nicer of the 2 waterjackets...# 164... has a # ..on the tube..where it meets the Trunion

# 128

So I guess its My F1rst..28.. build....with plate 228

Story ends there.

The other tube is numbered 153:jedicrying:..its a bit beat up and will likely be my 17 frontend...yet to be determined.

No sense buyin a ticket tonite....its not to be.

·
Registered
600 Posts
One of the jackets I have is double stamped on the bottom, looks to be a rebuild at some point. It makes sense, there's what appears to be a bullet hole visible from the inside. It's been re-welded at some point...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts