1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Colt Vickers tripod that I would like to trade for an Australian tripod, or will buy outright. Thanks smlemk111

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aussie for Turkish Vickers tripod.

I have a Colt Vickers tripod that I would like to trade for an Australian tripod, or will buy outright. Thanks smlemk111
Alan: Re: Gunbroker auction. It seems we both lost out today on what appeared, from the legs at least, to be an Australian tripod, although the crosshead had some strange markings (MAXIM, 1918, etc.). I had tentatively wanted this so I could trade it for your Turkish Vickers tripod. I got cold feet over the odd crosshead stampings and decided to refrain from upping my bid. I felt you might find it lacking and, thus, I'd be left with a tripod I didn't need. I'm still prepared to give you $2500.00 USD for your tripod. Let me know. Regards, Steve. ([email protected] or 403-381-8683). Regards, Steve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not strange, just an early crosshead. I have a tripod marked .303 Maxim 1915.

But not an Australian crosshead. Thus, a hybrid WW1 British/WW2 Australian tripod. Alan is looking for a WW2 all-Australian-made tripod. I don't think Vickers guns were made in Australia until the late inter-war period. Steve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not strange, just an early crosshead. I have a tripod marked .303 Maxim 1915.

To my knowledge, Lithgow produced 12,500 Vickers guns of all types from 1929 to 1943. Alan is looking for one of these and I am looking for a Turkish contract tripod made at VSM or VA during WW1. Steve.

·
Premium Member
3,197 Posts
I am looking for a Turkish contract tripod made at VSM or VA during WW1. Steve.
The best I can tell, the Turks did not contract the modification of their tripods to the Brits. While the guns were modified to 8mm in Europe, the Turks seemed to have modified the tripods the British sent them in Turkey and "in house." I have, or have had, Turkish Vickers tripods that were both British and US production. The Brits seems to have sent many of the US Vickers tripods to the Turks.

As I have on my Vickers site (yes, I need to fix the images!), in the early 1940s, the British supplied a number of Vickers to the Turks. Some US Vickers tripods, which were transferrred to England as part of Lend-Lease, were subsequently transferred to Turkey as part of this transaction. The Turks made a number of innovative but not uniformly applied modifications to the tripod. The Turks frequently modified the legs by lengthening and adding an in-leg storage capability for an anti-aircraft (AA) extension that fits into a hole in the crosshead. For some reason, the Turks did modify the US manufactured tripod legs, perhaps because the large foot on the rear leg of the US tripod was considered desirable. The crosshead modifications by the Turks seem to vary. All Turkish crossheads appear to have the hole for the AA extension and all appear to have been fitted with a large azimuth dial utilizing a modified indicator which included traverse stops. Some TurkishVickers crossheads have a modified elevating gear mechanism with stops.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
But not an Australian crosshead. Thus, a hybrid WW1 British/WW2 Australian tripod. Alan is looking for a WW2 all-Australian-made tripod. I don't think Vickers guns were made in Australia until the late inter-war period. Steve.
I was commenting on the fact it was thought strange to see a Vickers crosshead marked Maxim, nothing more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts