1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
There's a fluted jacket dummy Vickers on gunbroker now - along with a pitted fluted jacket. You don't see them offered much.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I've had 3 dummy fluted jacket guns. 2 of the 3 proved not suitable for building and I sold them. The first had pin-hole size rust holes in the jacket. The second, while looking good, had a large shallow dent next to the end cap that prevented a watertight seal. Lou looked at it and suggested it was not economically repairable. The third was a previous pristine 8mm Turkish parts kit that was dummied by IMA. Brian Penley expertly removed the welds from the Turkish dummy and I build this into a semi. My point is that you need to be careful when purchasing a fluted jacket dummy gun with the idea of rebuilding it. My success rate was 1 out of 3.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
I respect Brian's (30calmachinegunner) judgement. He build 2 Vickers for me. One being from the dummied Turkish gun. If the jacket he mentions below is nicer than the Turkish jacket, it is nice and likely very buildable.

.gunbroker Item=476756419

The jacket is NOT pitted, no heavy paint hiding stuff, one of the nicest jackets I've seen

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
476756419 on GB was the dummy I was referring to - it has a steel feed block too - nice addition. Unfortunately you would still need a left side plate and unmodified internals. When all is said and done the parts to build a fluted jacket semi starting with with a dummy (costing $2100) would be $2500 at least. Notwithstanding the majority of parts on most Vickers kits will be WW2 Australian and quite possibly DP to begin with.

That being said there is something romantic about a fluted jacket Vickers on a pod.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
476756419 on GB was the dummy I was referring to - it has a steel feed block too - nice addition. Unfortunately you would still need a left side plate and unmodified internals. When all is said and done the parts to build a fluted jacket semi starting with with a dummy (costing $2100) would be $2500 at least. Notwithstanding the majority of parts on most Vickers kits will be WW2 Australian and quite possibly DP to begin with.

That being said there is something romantic about a fluted jacket Vickers on a pod.
My additional cost, not including the dummy gun, of starting with a dummy fluted jacket as compared to using an IMA Lithgow kit was:

Left side plate = $300
Interior recoil plates (action arms) = $60 (Use the existing crank)
Removing the welds = $100 (can be done by the individual)
Barrel = $85
Lock = $250

Total additional cost compared to starting with a clean Vickers IMA kit = $795

I made a little money reselling the two other fluted jacket dummies that were not suitable for the build. Since I began with a Turkish kit none of the parts were DP marked.

I might suggest that like most military weapons used in and maintained during WWI and WWII, I doubt that by the end of service there were many with all original component parts.

·
Legendary Donor
2,491 Posts

The price is $1800 unless you do the "buy it now" or someone else raises the bid

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, this will be a parts kit to build up with a registered side plate, so starting with something truly excellent is probably worth the time and money to find the nicest one I can.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Possibly should have started this thread by asking the group, if you had a registered side plate, what Vickers would you build?

·
12,493 Posts
If I had a plate I would buy Brian's kit. I was so depressed when I had to build mine with a smooth jacket.

R

·
12,493 Posts
I no longer have a transferable plate.

Have a tractor cap maxim that's getting the postie treatment very soon.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts