1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Acquired this example at the local militaria show this morning. Its "MK 1 Expendable Package", a late WWI attempt to develop a prepacked 30 cal ammo belts for the M1917 Browning MG. There have been a few articles on this can on the forum, last I saw posted was in 2012.

Of note the inside of the can has a thin wood sheeting to the long sides and a piece of wood lines the bottom.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
...veeery interesting....

Had not heard about this varaity of packaging...thank you for the pic's. What difference in size...if any...from the wood WW1 ammo boxes..? Was it an experimental item or issue...?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Hmmm......I'm pretty sure I was here in 2012 and actively visiting, so....I'm guessing the old "recall" portion of my memory banks is in need of a recharge. :tongue:

In all honesty, the link and thread don't even look the least bit familiar to me :rolleyes: But then I'm not a 1917 guy, so maybe - just maybe - I glanced it over back then but that was all.....

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
...me either...LOL...

Guess my mind is also going,as I posted 2-items to this thread in 2012. I was just a bit late in seeing the original post and missed out on this 'experimental' can. I wonder if John (master22) has found any of these over there...? If so,I'd like to get at least 1-can to mount for a display in the military museum I have 3-carts in for their WW1 display until Nov 11 2018.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I posted a rather long reply here with quotes from the Ordnance Committee yesterday and when I pressed "submit Reply" it disappeared never to be seen.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Had not heard about this varaity of packaging...thank you for the pic's. What difference in size...if any...from the wood WW1 ammo boxes..? Was it an experimental item or issue...?
It was experimental and was one of four types of expendable box tested. The Ordnance people said it was very promising during WWI but later they stated it was difficult to pull the soldered on lid and other criticisms.The box held 300 rounds and the cartridges were called ".30 cal C". The "C" was to indicate it was loaded in an expendable belt.

In 1927 the Ordnance Subcommittee ( Item 6566, Oct 27, 1927) wrote " In view of the conclusion reached concerning the development of containers namely that the development of a satisfactory metallic or wood and metal expendable box which can be produced at a reasonable cost is impracticable, and the production cost not withstanding the usage to which it will be subjected in the service without destroying the seal of affecting its successful use with machine guns from a functioning standpoint would be prohibitive." The recommendation was that the project be closed.

The Committee also criticized the expendable belt stating "it has not been found possible to reduce the cost of fabric ammunition belts by use of inferior materials and or workmanship and still insure satisfactory functioning".

By May of 1941 the Ordnance people had changed their mind again. Item 16706, May 8 1941 stated "para 2.f. The question of expendable machine gun belts for the armored force is related to standard type expendable ammunition boxes"

Item 16707 May 8, 1941 Para 2.d. There should be made a standard for this caliber a package containing the 200 round belt in a hermetically sealed metal container which can be opened readily, installed and used without special tools, in a machine gun mount.

This would eventually lead to several test models and eventually the M1 and later M1A1 .30 caliber box.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
That is pretty cool, never seen one before or knew they existed.
Don't know how I missed the previous thread either, my mind must be like the rest of these old guys. :rofl:
CaptMax

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Great score you obviously have a good eye for detail and the rare stuff. That is a nice addition to any collection and a tough one to find trust me I have been lookin g for years and have yet to see one in person.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
There's a couple of drawings of the expendable belts here http://www.m1919tech.com/26513.html

IIRC the Ordnance Committee meeting minutes quantities of expendable belted ammo were shipped to the Canal Zone and the Philippines and some other places not to be opened for some period of time to test storage and functionality. Apparently this was a failure as conventional fabric belts continued to be used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Acquired this example at the local militaria show this morning. Its "MK 1 Expendable Package", a late WWI attempt to develop a prepacked 30 cal ammo belts for the M1917 Browning MG. There have been a few articles on this can on the forum, last I saw posted was in 2012.

Of note the inside of the can has a thin wood sheeting to the long sides and a piece of wood lines the bottom.
Now that's a really neat find! I've never seen one of those before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts