1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had this box for quite some time. Over the years, I have seen one or two pop up from time to time, so this one is not a one off unique piece. I was told these shoe shine kits were constructed after WWI using US Vickers ammo boxes and given to US Doughboys when they were mustered out of the service. I have heard that the War Department made them so out of work ex-Doughboys cold shine shoes for a few pennies on the streets of US cities. Then I heard they were commercially made and sold. Does anyone know what the truth about them really is?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I was trying to find the article I read about these but couldn't find it. If my I remember correctly, a company bought a bunch of these boxes surplus and commercially converted them to shoe shine boxes.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I was trying to find the article I read about these but couldn't find it. If my I remember correctly, a company bought a bunch of these boxes surplus and commercially converted them to shoe shine boxes.
I've seen several of these over the years. There was also another company (Gilbert I think) that sold these as toy boxes and had a decal on the lid with their info and "Toy Box" on it.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no clue what happened, but the pictures I originally posted in this thread had magically disappeared. I reinserted them.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I came across one of these as well. I removed the shoe rest mount and Toolman has the box. Not sure where the shoe rest is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have been refurbishing some of my ammo boxes, so I had a "close" reproduction of the Gilbert decal done. Gilbert also sold toy tool box reproductions to simulate the WWI aircraft tool kits; they are listed in the Gilbert catalogs of the '30s which are posted on the Gilbert website.

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've seen several of these over the years. There was also another company (Gilbert I think) that sold these as toy boxes and had a decal on the lid with their info and "Toy Box" on it.
I have one of the Gilbert Toy Box boxes in my collection.
Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts