1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok fellers, ya’ll know I display my 1917a1 for living histories. While not being the best display around, I’m proud of it.
It has taken me about 10-11 years to accumulate the items that go with it.
I feel like it is a pretty comprehensive display, but I love seeking out little things to make it better.
As Toolman always says, the fun is in the hunt!

Anyway, would a heavy machine gun crew have carried or been issued grenades? With all this other stuff that a several man crew HAD to carry, would grenades have been something they would have had if it was an option?

I have one of those souvenir pineapple grenades. I know those purists who are mkii grenade experts cringe, but even after spending some time on google it’s hard for me to look at cast pineapples and tell the difference. I know that 99.9% of spectators will not know the difference or care, especially if the thing is just in the periphery or background somewhere.
I don’t plan on making it a prominent piece in the setup. Just something among the web gear or k-ration crap under the fly.
I’ve spent some time trying to make this thing look “some” better. Touch up grinding, OD body with yellow ring under the fuse. I plugged the bottoms with a cork and sanded flush before paint. I’ve also picked up a repro WWII spoon.
If the hive mind here thinks that grenades would be appropriate to have under the fly/tent with gear, I may try to pick up a couple more if I can find them cheap.

what do ya’ll think?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Any soldier in the front lines would have access to grenades in battle. Issued, maybe not. But, acquired none the less. To&e’s evolved rapidly over the war. A hmg crew would usually be well behind the primary front(think 1-200 yards ish). Lmg crew would be closer. Not always, but that was the training in the day. But hmg crew could likely find themselves in the thick of things. So having 1-2 grenades on the crew for defense or destruction of equipment, yes. Don’t overlook thermite grenades to render equipment useless also. But the short answer would be yes

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Agree. Most 1917 crews had a couple riflemen attached to keep them a bit safer. And in combat they would have had a few grenades...no doubt. And anything else they could get their hands on...LOL....!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
is it Pacific or European , early , mid, late time frame. Just curious.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is it Pacific or European , early , mid, late time frame. Just curious.
I do 30th Infantry Division. (Old Hickory)
They entered the ETO on D-Day plus 6 I believe.
They ended up being the most decorated Division in WWII if I’m not mistaken.
They were just given a long overdue and very much deserved Presidential unit citation for their actions at Mortain France.

To answer your question, at this point I only do ETO 1944-1945.

Oh, I’d love a model 1917 bolo knife to add to the display as well.😁

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great display!! And thank you for doing them. As to the bolo, I have one, but I use it for mine. I will keep an eye out for one. I ran across one last year but did not get it. Pm me with your wants and I will keep my eyes open for you. I have my 1919 more geared to USMC because I own a collection from a Marine machine gunner killed on Iwo. He was a paramarine also. It has been interesting researching him. Keep it up

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice display! I have a bunch of resin cast grenades I use with a grenade vest for WW1 living history. From 5 feet, they look great painted as MKI fragmentation grenades.

From reading and talking to veterans, I deduce that combat troops would have carried several grenades. The problem is that grenades are heavy, so you don't want to carry them unless you are actually expecting to be in close combat. When you don't need them you have too many, and when you need them, you don't have enough!

My military service started in 1977 with B/120 IN. We had frequent visits with WW2 veterans and most were willing to talk about their experience. I don't remember any discussion specifically about the M1917 Browning. At the time, I was an M60 gunner, so I paid attention when machine guns were mentioned.

One thing that really stuck with me was when one fellow mentioned that by the time the Regiment got to Belgium, half of the men were replacements. That really brought home to me how fierce the fighting had been in the bocage and around Mortain.

Like, I said, I mostly do WW1 120th IN. My gear is as a Lewis gunner, so I do have a Bolo. Not much for combat, but works very well on small brush and digging.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Believe the 442nd Regimental Combat Team was the most decorated unit in WW2. They were called the 'Neisi' (?) as they were all Japanese Americans. And they only fought in ETO. Their slogan...'Go for broke'...was noted on their Presidential Unit award.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hey Reb, do you have a copy of the Machine Gunner's Handbook? I am rereading mine, and reminding me how valuable this little book is to understanding each members role in the LMG or HMG squad. Also has a list of items for each member to carry along with their personal kit. Just thought I would check if you had it.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts