1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the collectors of vintage war items does anyone have any information on availability of WWII air raid sirens such as the Carter dual tone siren? They seem to be very hard to find here in the US with greater availability in the UK but at high prices (especially with shipping, these things are heavy). When I entered the F/A 1919 arena I thought I found the ultimate hobby to empty my bank account, seems I may have located another money pit. If anyone has info that could steer me towards one I would appreciate it. Functional or not is fine I am looking to restore one, thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Buying one would be great but you can also make one if all you want is the ear splitting sound. Plenty of how-to videos out there. Good luck with your quest! KevinT

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I used to play with one of those hand crank sirens as a kid.
My Dad still has it up North in K Falls.
Lets loose on the sucker right before he fires off his 4 " Black powder cannon.
Long story when he moved up to K Falls years ago. He would blast the cannon off all year around.
One day the sheriff showed up. My Sister was visiting and saw the car pull up and said to my Mom "Cops are here".
Mind you she heard this a lot when I was growing up still living at home. But this time it was my Pop's that did something.
Anyway Sheriff and my dad go over to the bluff were the cannon sits and my mom is freaking out.
She's watching them but can't hear a word that's being said. Lots of gesturing and arm pointing and waving then about 45 minutes later sheriff leaves and my dad comes into the house.
My Mom wants to see the ticket or find out what happened and my dad starts laughing . Tells my mom he wants my dad to start off the 4th of July parade with it .
Said the neighbors called a few times , they don't mind it around the 4th or even New Years but Sept October and every other month was getting a bit much. They just wanted a little warning that he was going to shoot it.
So you guessed it, he lights off the air raid siren now before he fires it.
What is funny is K falls has a squadron of F16's stationed at the airport they take off at all hours and are always buzzing over his house.
I'd be a bit jumpy with the air raid siren , F16's and loud booms myself but hey.
Guess I get it natural like father like son.

GW

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
The school that I went to as a child had no fire alarm. The school was built in the late 20's early 30's. When we had fire drills, they would have two high school kids run through each floor cranking an air raid siren mounted to a board. It was loud as anything, but I will always remember hearing those doors slam open, and the thump thump of their feet running on the squeaky hard wood floors.

I have often wondered where that siren went. I would also love to have one.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
My 2010 KIA forte has turned it's power steering pump into my very own miniature air raid siren!! KevinT

·
Registered
391 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts