1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helped my buddy with loading a printing press a week ago. He pays me and throws this in to boot! KevinT Auto part Machine Automotive engine part Engine

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Holy cow. Forgot about having a few of those as a kid! My dad was a steam geek and found some for us to play with. Very cool. J

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on cleaning it up and getting the fuel bars for it and running it from time to time. I never had one as a kid but always thought they were cool. My friend is set on building a larger one from a kit. The kit comes with rough cast parts that you have to finish machining, just something different for him to try. KevinT

·
Premium Member
6,939 Posts
I have a few of those tucked back from when my dad was a kid :rolleyes: I am sure not that old, no really. They are a load of fun and kind of go hand in hand with being a boy back in the day.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Those engines were great fun. I still have the one I got for Christmas in 1955 or so. When it had a head of steam and the throttle was wide open it would run so hard it would vibrate and almost levitate off the floor. What a hoot!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
They still make 'em: http://www.wilesco.de/wilesco/index.php?id=3&L=1

'Course, prices are a little higher than they used to be.

Bob says he got one in 1955. Here's my 1968 Christmas present:

Toy Toy vehicle Vehicle Model car Play

I haven't run it in several years but it's a screamer with a full head of steam. The whistle also drives the dogs crazy.

As I recall, my mom got it out of Sears mail order for $25 which was a LOT of $$$ for a toy in 1968. (For perspective, I got a Cox dune buggy in 1967 - price about $15.)

You can run it as a stationary engine with a belt pulley off the flywheel or it will move as a steam roller under its own power. Two Esbit fuel tabs run it for about 10 minutes. The green cable thing with a small sttering wheel is the "remote control" as such existed on purely mechanical toys of the 1950s - 1960s.

I guess you just graduate to bigger, more expensive toys but the boyhood "need" for the coolest toy on the block just doesn't go away!!!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Wow!! That brings a lot of memories. I remember getting one of those steam engines back in the early 60's for Christmas from my Dad when we were stationed in Germany. I don't know who enjoyed it more me or my Dad. It was one of those toys that got me interested in engineering that carried over into my adult life. I got to find one for my grandsons!!

Thanks for memories.

--fjruple

1 - 8 of 8 Posts