1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Master Window Licker
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the range with 2 guys from another site ARFCOM and we was shootin at steel targets (Sewer lid covers) at 365 and 565 yrds. I told the guys i can hit the 365 yrd with my HK 45USP tactical and they doubted me. So out of a 12 rnd mag i hit it 8 times, then i took my sub compact glock 27 .40 with a what...3" barrel and with 10 rnds hit it 5 times. They couldnt beleive it so after that we spent 2 hrs shootin at the 365 yrd gong with every pistol we had there. One person is on the high powered scoped rifles spottin and its not really needed cause you can see the bullets hit the dirt around it if you miss so adjustin fire is not hard and when ya hit it goes Ding.

Now, tell me you beleive that....i know your gonna call BS but i swear it to be true and if you go out and try it you will see its not that hard. If you can hit a soda can consistantly at 50 yrds you can do it. The HK is dead on windage but the glock i had to aim about 6ft to the left for it to hit, and obviously high. So, whos gonna go try it after they call me a liar?

· Registered
689 Posts
We do something similar around here, only we use a 15gal polyethelene drum. It wiggles when you hit it, and make a hollow kind of WHACK! sound. Another fun one is 22 rifle at long range. 200yds isn't that hard once you get the holdover figured out. That one won me a few bets.

· Registered
3,274 Posts
I know how you feel Blackrifles , all your Friends witness this stuff ,but you are afraid to mention it on the web.
I hit a crow on the fly at 100yds ,with my LRB M14 ,The crow was well silhouetted with a white sand dune behind him ,but it dropped him with one shot.
With SA ammo at that.
The M1 rifles are just magic.

· Master Window Licker
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah, .22 rifles at long range is fun, i can put all 25 rnds from the mag in the 10/22 onto the gong at 365, get the magnification at the right spot and where the crosshais get fat is where POI is, its easy with a scope.

· Master Window Licker
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why, if i can do it easier and hit every time then thats what im gonna do HA. I really suspected id get ridiculed for this post but im glad im not the only one who pushes the limits.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
Call me a liar on this one, winter of 1992 my grandfather passed away, one of the guns he left me was his M1 Garand, took it to range way out in the sticks. A teen boy was shooting his father's high-dollar 30-06 Mauser, scope worth more than the rifle, snobbed me for having a semi-auto, we started at 100 yds then on to 300, 15-20 mph COLD wind gusts got him, he was completely off the paper, rifle goes into case.

I pick up a 1 gal empty AF jug and fill it with water, set it out 400 yds and double back in Jeep, wind died down, fired a few rounds hoping to see jug explode, never saw jug move, I had fired all 8 rnds and clip ejects, WTH? I knew I hit that sucker and this sorry punk's laughing!

We pile in Jeep and go see, by then had another shooter in tow, 8 rnds in a palm-sized group and leaking water, now this is shaking/freezing cold with near 50 yr old FMJ ammo. Fancy "Fudd Mauserboy" wasn't laughing and time to go, still won't shoot with me, and hasn't asked since. Some folks out there still scared of me, I don't know why. :D

· Master Window Licker
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hell, Blacky....you got me scared too.

I would of made that guy soo mad he would of walked back to the firin line, i would of rode him so hard ecspecially if he was laughin at me. I love showin up snobs like that, we have couple round here. If i cant beat them my daughters will. Most of the guys around here know they dont want to shoot against my daughters, 60 shots at gong 1/4 mile away and miss 3 times, every old guy there quit shootin and was just watchin in amazement, i was proud, still am.

I can beleive that a bit more then i would if someone came up to me and said they can shoot a gong at 365 yrds with a pistol, i would probably roll my eyes and walk away if i hadnt done it myself. The garands dont surpise me at all, they are just dead nut accurate and capable of soo much. That and a M14, i want one of each so bad and have forever but never got one...yet!

· PhD in Over-Engineering
8,755 Posts
Hey Wayne. I don't want your wishes, so clearly expressed, to go unfulfilled. So I am doing this as a favor to you, since you are my friend.

YOU ARE A LIAR!

There, now don't you feel better? :D

· Registered
3,274 Posts
Blackrifles i had that same thing with my 1864 Ordnance rifle.
We set up a 20 gal .plastic jug 500 yards away to see if we could hit it.
It never moved ,we kept thinking we were real close.
After 5 rounds we went to look , these rounds were moving so fast they were all following the first round ,and just going through the hole,and never moved the jug.
I guess the sights worked .

· Registered
3,034 Posts
D8,

I don't want to scare anyone, some folks just scared of the way I look or speak, cold and seen too much BS I guess. It's like watching predator and prey, prey locks up when they sense something watching them, I'm told it's my "demeanor" that spooks people, well, guess they need to fear something.

I haven't shot over 400 yds in a long time, but the weather is getting better here, going to see what some of those foreign EBRs can do. You need to sign up for CMP, go get a nice Garand for a steal.

The old threads are gone, did I ever tell you about my Savage 10 .308 Tactical? I think I mentioned it here. Gave $350 for it (had $140 50mm Bushnell 24x scope on it) and it was awesome out to 300 yds with Fed 168 gr match. First time I shot it was at 100 yds (max Forest Serv range had) with 70's LC ball, covered pattern with a dime, couple of young men gather around, rifle/scope/case looks military or govt, then they're studying me, I'm clean cut and dressed like govt worker, I decided to break the ice. I offer to put them behind the trigger, "No thanks, you're a Fed." :eek:

"Nope, I work automotive sector".

"Yeah right, nice rifle and shooting, Fed".

The game warden (I knew) strolling up didn't help matters, asking about my Fed friends and jokingly scolding me for having FMJ, he was actually hurting my defense of the boy's inquisition, some things are better to let go. Those boys were brave AND spooked, because they "forgot" to display parking permit, you know, put that on dash AFTER you pay for Forest Service range use? LOL!

P.S. D8, you're a DAMN liar! :p

· Registered
689 Posts
One of my best was a fly w/an M14SA @ 100yds off a bench. No scope. Dad was spotting. I was grouping the rifle, and Dad told me Hey! that's not a hole, that's a fly! I asked where, and he said X down, and X over from your last shot. I corrected, fired again, missed, Dad gave me corrections again, and I scored. I still have the target. Fly guts sprayed out one side. I never saw the fly, I was just shootin' where he told me. Fun.

· Registered
3,034 Posts
Never shot no damn flies that I can recall, sounds fun, BFF mentioned that awhile back. I have shot wasps in mid-flight with BB gun as small child, later birds in mid-flight (young and dumb) with .22 when I was a young teen, Dad didn't believe it when Mom told it, so I proved it.

He was expert with M-14 in basic training, carried M-14 through most of his VN tour, still bugged him I could shoot nozzle off empty rattle can 100 yds away, that was with $25 Stevens single shot .22 I bought at yard sale, loved those 4x Weaver scopes. :D

· Premium Member
2,681 Posts
Age 13. Carrying my dad's pre-war Model 70 in .30-06 with a Weaver K4 post and crosshair scope. One mule deer, five point western count, standing at approximately 600 yards and 35 degrees up slope on the morning skyline well above timberline. No wind. Had no idea what I was doing, but he looked so damn big in the scope that I held the middle of the height of the post on his body and touched one off. He was completely covered by the post. I had to leave his tail sticking out from behind it to see where he was.

Dad was way pissed. He thought I was just looking through the scope until the shot went off. While he wondered out loud about what kind of idiot he was raising the deer took a little side step, walked around in a small circle like a dog headed for bed, and fell down dead.

It was probably the single dumbest shot I have ever taken, but it worked out OK and I still grin when I think about it. The horns are mounted out on my shop wall. Still have the Model 70, too.

· Registered
480 Posts
Naw, its certainly possible!!! I can hit a steel popper target at 100yards with half mag of 9mm from my M9. the target is 6" in diameter, bullets barely have enough poop to get there but those that do go """"PING"""". The target is like the size of the bead on a shotgun at that range, although we did manage to break the 3/8" armored steel target, broke the welds and crushed a bracket, its going back in the morning to the manufacturer, they want to see it and find out why the welds broke.

· Registered
4,917 Posts
Long range shooting

I got a russiam Mosin nagant rifle sort of by default this dude shot himself with it so th cops took it away, the wife needed a starter put in her car so she could go see the old man, the cop that took the gun asked if I would put the starter in in exchange for the gun, it has a 1944 stamp, it's ugly and rough, typical lousy finish and cheesy wood, but it fits nicely in my Ww2 collection, I got a case of cheap ammo and took it to my favorite shooting pit, it's an old gravel pit so you can set up any range you want out to 350 yards, my favorite target is 2 liter soda bottle full of water, plus I have a 3/8 steel siloute target, a friend and I went out to check some long range accuratcy , we got a couple hits on the steel target before it fell down, he was going to walk back and set it up and I told him let's shoot the bottles, he thought I was joking, he could barely see them, so I pointed out the first one and popped it, just luck he said, so I continued till I was out of round, one shot one bottle, then I pulled up the garand and finished the off, my 1919 I can hit the 12 inch gong out to 100 yards 5 out of 7 time, I could probaly do better but I don't get out shooting nearly as much as I would like to, but spring is here and I'm going to try.

· Master Window Licker
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man, maybe you guys should of posted the thread.....shootin flies at 100 yrds, i wanna see the target with the guts on it. HA

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.