1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nicely built (from waht I hear) 1919 coming from John McGuire in a week or so. I am not going to alter or molest it in any way....BUT.......

I'm building my own semi just because I got a really nice kit and I acquired a nice 80% sideplate.

I'm going to bolt it together!!! I will use grade 8 bolts, loctited, and tig welded in place. I'll also do the required deep welds on the underside of the weapon. I know it won't look correct, but I have always collected weapons that I shoot and use, and I don't own any safe queens.

I'm doing this because I already have the needed taps, bolts etc., and I don't feel like buying a rivit set, acquiring bucking bars, buying gas for my tanks to "cherry" the rivits, etc.

I have it "boxed up" right now, and I used Lobo's method of squaring up the front trunion and barrel shroud. I'll send off my internals to be milled and have the KMP stuff installed, then I'll hopefully have it running in two weeks or so.

I'll keep y'all posted.

BY THE WAY, I'd like to let everyone know that Dan at Angola Armory is a real stand up guy to do business with, you may trade with confidence when dealing with him!!!

Balming

·
Registered
60 Posts
bolting it together

Hey Balming,
I'm pretty sure that the deep penitrating welds are no longer required.
You could just tig up the box and skip the bolts and rivets. Except maybe tig some fake rivet heads on from the inside so that from the outside they will look like they have been pounded. As long as it works it's all up to you and whatever makes you happy,
Good luck

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I still beleive that deep penatrating weld are required if one goes the bolt method, As tig welding would be to eay to grind out with a Dremal tool.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
If one's going to bolt together a 1919 firearms it ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE WELDED, AS WELL.

·
PhD in Over-Engineering
12,235 Posts
I can't believe my purist eyes!! :eek:

Hey whatever you are happy with. It doesn't bother me! No skin off MY nose. Excuse me now, I'm just gonna go cuddle up with my safe queens...

:D

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
i'm a purist

you dont need to heat the rivets. just smash them you will spend far more time tapping the holes and swearing when you break the taps on the hard part of the plates.

anybody remember the guy who spray painted his 1919 to give it the zebra look?

·
Registered
37 Posts
glockhead said:
you dont need to heat the rivets. just smash them you will spend far more time tapping the holes and swearing when you break the taps on the hard part of the plates.

QUOTE]

Ditto. Riveting is way easier - especially squaring the trunnion.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Heck, just weld it up and make it a "slick side"! If I had another kit, that's what I would do but I think 2 is enough for me. I think a completely smooth 1919 would look pretty good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts