17:52 now 115,000 rounds

next 21:00 252,000 rounds

there was still UNFIRED ammo trashed!!

over 400,000 rounds used in that video

what a waste

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Absolutely NOT a waste! I'm making sure the members of the closest fire departments see this. Thanks for sharing.

Carry On!
Gary ><>

Inventor of FIRE.

·
11,313 Posts
Very very important thread. I made it a sticky. We all have a serious need for this information.

·
5,467 Posts
I ws a paid on call firefighter for 20 years, I have heard ammo cook off in a fire. I was always more worried about burning plastic toilet seats and shower curtine and LP tanks stored inside.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Years ago I had a friend who's car burned up there were 200 rnds of 5.56 and another 100 rounds of 45 acp in the trunk after things cooled down I searched through the burned out hulk what I found was interesting..... the 5.56 cased were complete with a rounded bulge at the shoulder primers were missing bullets were laying loose lead core melted away.... 45 cased in same condition so most likely powder creates a gas which pushes bullet
out of case at about or just after the powder gets to ingition point.... When I was a kid I used to shoot a 22 in the basement with a bullet trap I got the bright Idea to leave a couple of 22 rf on top of our gas furnace which was directly under my little brothers room..... I though they would cook off durnign the night waking him up.... I was disapointed to discover the next morning that the cases were still where I had left them the bullets were about 1/2 and inch from the case.... so the powder had formed a gas which pushed the bullets out before the powder could ignight...... if the cases are set were they heat at a constant temp it appears this is what happens ...

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Great video, thanks for posting and thanks Rory for making it a sticky.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you welcome and thanks rory

·
Registered
79 Posts
We need to send this to the liberal press that make it sound like a box of 22s found at a fire is like a case of TNT . I just sent this to my Friend a Assistant cheif maybe he can get it out to some Dept around here Thanks Hueyy and Rory for making it a sticky

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
This has been out there for a year or two at least. Most big departments have seen it, or at least are aware of it. Not so much for the small ones and volunteer units. It is really good data. Ammo Mfg 's donated the ammo. a ot of the ammo was not "damaged" so I hope somebody got to pick through it........

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
reminder of video

·
Registered
168 Posts
I uploaded a video about a year ago i found in a stack of VHS tapes think it was filmed in early 80's with SAAMI. Have a look if you are bored lol.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
A few years back our friends at Denver Bullets had a fire in an outbuilding (caused by vagrants) and the flames went up the brick wall, broke out a window and set the ceiling on fire.
Building owner got the alarm call and chose to ignore it!
Fire got involved inside the ceiling/roof before a driver going by called the Denver FD.
The first trucks on scene refused to enter to fight the fire because the location had ammo stored inside, the powder magazines were not on site.
Fortunately when the "incident commander" arrived, he was a customer of Denver Bullets and was aware of the layout of the building.
He ordered the firemen in and got the fire out.
If not for that one senior fireman being on scene, the FD was only going to stop the spread to other structures.

If you have quantities of ammo on hand, I think it is a great idea to ensure your servicing fire station has the training or at least seen the video's of how ammo behaves in a fire.
Richard

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have a completely different take. Living in the glorious People's Democratic Republic of California, if I were to mention my ammo stash to any fire-person I am pretty sure I would get a visit from the Fire Marshall and my stash would most likely be seized, either completely or at least partially. I would also most likely be fined, and would not be the least surprised if they drop a dime to the PD about the "massive amount" of ammo they found, who would then use that as the basis for obtaining a search warrant (after all, these days anything here gun related is automatic criminal intent to do something evil and true Californians don't own ammo, let alone THAT much). They wouldn't find anything except a lot of (very legal) guns and some more ammo, but they would make one hell of a mess. I'll wait for the FD to show up, let them know what is where, and let them decide what they want to do. If it burns, it burns. That's why I have insurance and carry higher than required limits. Besides, I would worry more about the acetylene and oxygen bottles and the smokeless powder than the ton or so of ammo stored in 40mm cans.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts