1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd just start a thread going about everyone's first FA firearm, why did you choose that specific item, when was it and anything else that you might care to share. A lot has changed in only a few decades and I personally would like to hear some experiences more established collectors have had.

·
11,962 Posts
First was a Mac 11/9

let’s call it a starter gun. It was 2500 or so and it was just to see how to make the process work. And it wasn’t soo much money that it was going to be a massive risk.

then it was all down hill from there. Next thing you know you have something in transfer about all the time and you buy guns that cost more than cars

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First was a Mac 11/9

let’s call it a starter gun. It was 2500 or so and it was just to see how to make the process work. And it wasn’t soo much money that it was going to be a massive risk.

then it was all down hill from there. Next thing you know you have something in transfer about all the time and you buy guns that cost more than cars
Haha interesting so it was just the money huh? How did you like the Mac did you keep it for long?

·
11,962 Posts
Sold that one but bought another later on. Not my favorite and never shoot it. It’s the starter machine gun.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Great topic. Let me ask a genuine question to the FA NFA guys hereabouts. Given the relative difference in costs between "fully transferables" and pre-post 86 samples.... wouldn't it make sense to get your FFL with SOT etc., buy some pre-86'ers (for WAAAAY less than the same gun fully tranferrable), maybe buy and sell a few post 86'ers for fun.... then (after a reasonable period of time) relinquish the FFL/SOT and KEEP the pre 86'er?

·
Registered
108 Posts
1917. Wanted a 1919 after having built a semi and then moving to a free state( yeah!) Local gun shop took one in, couldn't resist

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Great topic. Let me ask a genuine question to the FA NFA guys hereabouts. Given the relative difference in costs between "fully transferables" and pre-post 86 samples.... wouldn't it make sense to get your FFL with SOT etc., buy some pre-86'ers (for WAAAAY less than the same gun fully tranferrable), maybe buy and sell a few post 86'ers for fun.... then (after a reasonable period of time) relinquish the FFL/SOT and KEEP the pre 86'er?
you should post this in its own thread. Seriously.
lots to discuss about this without killing the original posters topic here. Lots of guys do this.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
yeah, never personally owned a FA, don't have bucks for that........yes, I'm not rich or wealthy. but, Uncle Sam loaned me a 20mm VULCAN

my first NFA, SBR, was a AKS-74U that was built from a Bulgarian parts kit, back in 2004 . why? because I thought it would look stupid with a 16in barrel, that's why 😆

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
1914 Fiat Revelli from Dolf and it was a sentimental thing for me because we had shot that one together over the years and while he sold his Revelli to a guy three years ago nobody knew he had another one papered in NY and that is the one I bought. I fully intend on keeping this for years to come and will not sell it but it will be passed on at some point like all our stuff. There are actually only a few on my hit list including a Remington 1917, Lewis gun (already bought) water cooled 50 and a couple others. I wish I had deeper pockets for more but have to be realistic.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Two STEN tubes. They were available in the early 80's for 2/$500. Bought them from a MG dealer in CA, transferred them to my dealer in AZ, built to Mk5 STENS. Buddy still has one. Regards, JH

·
11,962 Posts
then (after a reasonable period of time) relinquish the FFL/SOT and KEEP the pre 86'er?
selling post 86 is the hiccup here. It happens but not as much as anyone would like to really engage in that business for a profit. More suppressors and doing transfers for others. Rentals and private events.

if the intent is just to keep them forever, pre-86 is definitely a lot lower cost to get involved. But it gets squirrelly when you die. You can’t leave it to anyone. Has to be sold to another dealer. Unless you set the ffl up as a company and include your kids or whomever you want to leave them to

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Around 1983 or so I was offered a MG42 and bought it for no other reason than I thought it was an interesting firearm. Now long gone, don't miss it in any way.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Sad to say I live in a no Class 3 state. BUT, that said, I would dearly want an M1 Thompson. I must have watched too many episodes of "Combat" on TV as a kid I guess!

Reactions: GBYENKO

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
After spending nearly 2 decades in the military, Ive been 'blessed' and still get to play with crew served weapons every few months. However, their charm has worn off on me. (Usually because Im the one lugging all the equipment and ammo and working the firing line for 12 hours at a time) I live in occupied territory now, but plan on moving in the next 2 years. The only gun left on my 'bucket list' is a FA UZI. Ive fired a few before at various MG rental places and I just fell in love. Ive looked into the 07/SOT vs POSTIE thing and in IMHO, unless you are really doing an 07 to make a substantial profit, its just not worth the fees to keep 1 or 2 full autos. Sadly, the price of post samples keeps skyrocketing. A FA UZI brings close to 15-20 grand now. Ill NEVER have a spare 20 grand laying around that I can just spend on a toy. Maybe Ill just have to settle for an Airsoft......:(

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I got my RR PP MP5 back in '87. I was introduced to them back in '83 by the SWAT guys at the Kern County Sheriff's Office. I really liked everything about them. So when I was offered one, I grabbed it. It has never let me down. It's accurate, relatively cheap to shoot, and easy to fire. Without a doubt, it's my funnest full auto toy.

Even Dolf likes to fire it:

Reactions: toolmanm203

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Back in the early 90's I traded a NIB folding stock Norinco AK for a NIB Powder Springs M10 in 45. I paid $325 for the AK. I got my FFL in 87 and I went class 3 in the early 90's. My next one was about 6 months later. A DLO Colt MG40
for $1900, most expensive gun I had ever bought. Came set up in 8mm and 30-06. I didn't show that one to my wife until years later. Both gone now, but I have others.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
You must demonstrate to BATF that you are "in business" and not getting an FFL/SOT as a hobby or to acquire personal firearms. Your yearly compliance inspections will tell the tale to the BATF inspectors. If you cannot demonstrate your business intent, you license(s) will be pulled and you are liable for federal prosecution.

if the intent is just to keep them forever, pre-86 is definitely a lot lower cost to get involved. But it gets squirrelly when you die. You can’t leave it to anyone. Has to be sold to another dealer. Unless you set the ffl up as a company and include your kids or whomever you want to leave them to
Post-86 Samples must be destroyed or transferred to another SOT upon an SOT's death or the SOT giving up his/her license. It is my understanding that Pre-86 Samples can be inherited upon an SOT's death. Also, the SOT may keep the Pre-86 Sample upon giving up his/her license.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts