1919 A4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some of you must have tried the Yugo 8mm surplus ammo in your 1919's. Just curious how well it worked out for you. I'm talking about the stuff that is 50's dated not the expensive 70's dated ammo. The price of it sure is cheap and I picked up a few thousand rounds and if it is good I might get more.

Thanks.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Use it almost all the time because I am an economy shooter and I keep a spare top cover handy. I think it is pretty good stuff and for the price. You may end up modifying your firing pin to shoot it because most have hard and or recessed primers. Look at some of the older posts and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WHATEVER YOU DO... avoid the 11/54 headstamp. The brass is too brittle and it is not safe to shoot. The cases from this lot ruptured in seven different Mauser rifles, and I ended up having to pull the bullets and powder and use them as reloading components. In contrast, the 55 and 56 stuff has been great. This has been the only bad experience with this ammo. This is very good, very accurate ammo in my experince, though this is in mauser rifles, I havent shot it in the 1919's yet because I have Romanian and Turk to use first. just my .02.

576 Posts
Shot a little over 5000 rounds Friday and Saturday at Bulletfest with out a single problem. I have a "Fix" for the deep set and hard primers and I could do 250rd belt dumps with a single pull of the trigger. This was all 52, 53 and 54 dated ammo.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Dave B - Great Lakes Arms said:
I have a "Fix" for the deep set and hard primers

please share it with us - im about to buy a metric crapload of this stuff

·
Registered
191 Posts
The wife and I shot almost 2500 rounds of the 50's Yugo also. I used a differeft fix than Dave B. I made a front cartridge stop from scrap to fit the just the 50's yugo.
Dave B. it was good to meet you at Bulletfest.

Dave P
aka Bearpaw

576 Posts
B.A.R. gunner said:
please share it with us - im about to buy a metric crapload of this stuff
Now....If I did that, you all will want to buy all the Yugo and there would be non left for me. :)

Just remember to not use Yugo in the new Chrome lined 8mm barrels that are available.

576 Posts
Ok....I'll share...

I made this......

To go inside of this....

It is my belief that the deep set is not so much the problem as it is the hardness. So by preloading the firing pin spring I get more tension out of it and more striking energy. Well....from my weekend I think I may be on to something. I used to get at least three or four that did not fire out of a belt with the standard tension on the firing pin. After this change I am running 100% first strike ignition.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
what about in a 42 - that is what i had planned on using it in - arent those new 1919 barrels made from a 42 barrel??

what exactly is the problem with that ammo if i might ask? i dont care about hard primers, but why not use it in the new barrels made from a 42??

please enlighten me on this

Mike

576 Posts
The new chrome lined 1919 barrels are not reworked 42 barrels, they are made from scratch. Yugo is heavy ball 196gr and has a very long bullet ogive and that contacts the rifling on these new barrels which creates an over pressure situation and can blow case heads. You should be fine in a 42. A friend has one ...well it is a post sample Yugo M53 but that is pretty much the same as a 42 and that is all he shoots is Yugo. It may be prudent to buy a can or two to try before you invest in a pallet of the stuff though.

576 Posts
Hmm....well I hadn't planned on selling them but if you send me $5 I can turn one down and throw it in the mail. I could also put one together in a complete new firing pin assembly for $20.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The new chrome lined 1919 barrels are not reworked 42 barrels, they are made from scratch.

alright then - very good

i was under the impression these were reworked 34, or 42 barrels - had me concerned for a bit

thanks Dave

Mike

576 Posts
No problem Mike.
As an aside....I don't believe the 42's were ever used for 1919 conversion...the MG34's were. I have four of those, in fact that is what I was shooting this weekend. I am now down to 2 of them.....they are hard as nails but they just can't take the sustained rate of fire that I am used to. Because I have poor trigger control I burn them out pretty fast. Careful on your 42 for that same reason....they are even lighter than the 34 barrels.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The new chrome lined 1919 barrels are not reworked 42 barrels, they are made from scratch. Yugo is heavy ball 196gr and has a very long bullet ogive and that contacts the rifling on these new barrels which creates an over pressure situation and can blow case heads. You should be fine in a 42. A friend has one ...well it is a post sample Yugo M53 but that is pretty much the same as a 42 and that is all he shoots is Yugo. It may be prudent to buy a can or two to try before you invest in a pallet of the stuff though.
Yup, I just stuck a Yugo round into my new barrel and with hard thumb pressure on the rear, it sticks out enough to wobble around a little, now I know why my cases split so bad below the shoulder with the first barrel. A Romanian cartridge falls all the way in. Won't be shooting yugo it this one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would like to know if I could get 1 of the firing pin assemblies and possibly 1 of the little adapters? Would you be interested in selling one of the shot out 8mm barrels? Would you possibly know some one to make more of the MG34 converted barrels. I'm sitting on a few rounds of yugo and would like to be able to have fun. Have learned a lot from your post!

Thanks,
ED

576 Posts
Guys, my post was not really an attempt to solicit business...I was hoping that you could kind of take my experiece and make you own adapters if you were inclined. At $20 for a brand new firing pin and spring and my time and shipping I am probably going to loose money on these and really don't want to start mass producing them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do what Dave said , I finished making mine last night and ran it today, your right Dave preloading the spring really helped with those pesky hard primers. Thanks,

·
Master Window Licker
2,853 Posts
Yugo ammo has always done right by me. Every time Dave S comes down to shoot he brings a belt of yugo ammo thats 40 yrds long and we burn it threw my 1919, never had a prob with it, we even have a video of him runnin it for over 2 mins straight nonstop 1,250 rnds of yugo, the stuff seems good to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts