1919 A4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, there is a rumor that back in the 90s that Alleghany Arsenal had some ZB-39 receivers that were made here in the states with original markings. I believe they only made 20 or so....I know it's a long shot but I'd love to buy one if no one completed their project.

Doug

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
No complete ZB or BREN receivers, SA or FA have ever been manufactured in the US by anyone that I've ever heard of. Greg at Allegheny imported a quantity of ZB39s from the stores of small arms held by the police in Bulgaria. These had the receivers cut up to import specs and sold as kits. As the owner of one of the only two verified transferable ZB39s in the NFRTR, any aftermarket ZB receiver or any type would have been of great interest to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmm, appreciate the response Bob. I read once upon a time that an individual on the weaponeer forums was talking about a complete in the white receiver that he had bought from Greg, one of 20 made when the kits came in.

Just though I'd find a better way to get some of my kits built.
Coltman15

·
Registered
739 Posts
Memory is a terrible thing, but I swear that 10-15 years ago I saw a "new" Bren receiver, in the white, on some website or another. It was on a vice bench of a mill or CNC machine, just made. It was of course milled from solid, something that I thought was insane. That's why it sticks in my mind, I couldn't imagine someone doing it with all of those clean IO receivers floating around still.

My memory may be wrong, of course.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Well, lots of stillborn or one offs, but I do not know of any commercial venture that ever offered 80% or finished ZB or BREN receivers. The market was not ready for these with all the various kits that were around fifteen years ago, and it didn't appear that there was much demand. Plenty of kits, though. Now the kits are gone and few will be coming into the US anyway, so what's the point of going to the expense of making new receivers. Too bad…….

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to have one of the ZB39 kits from Alleghany. If I remember correctly, only about eight or nine receivers made it to the states. Len Savage at Historic Arms , I think might have been making receivers for the Bren at one time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Arctic, I thought a small number came in, did anyone keep one. My kits are for sale too, seems like another couple builds will be too costly. Cost me $5500 for Len to make a ZB39 receiver and assemble the gun into a semi.

If you want a zb39 kit unissued in a crate with a bunch of mags let me know anyone.
Doug

·
Registered
54 Posts
A small number of original receivers apparently were imported (quantity unknown to me)... most likely as demils... I have seen a semi made from one. There are so many machining operations required to create a Bren receiver from a block of steel... not to mention the hardening of certain areas. I suspect that the task is just not worth the effort and tooling costs. Many re-welds have been put back into service... and many of the Zb kits have been brought back built on Bren receivers. Probability of finding a made from scratch receiver... small. If some were made... the maker does not want anybody to know about it. Historic Arms has made semi guns... but his shop is not set up for the type of machining required to build receivers from scratch. If such projects were undertaken... Len hired out the machine work.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Any ZB39 receivers imported from Bulgaria would be post-May samples. Not a single live, import ZB39 post-May sample has ever been mentioned or offered for sale in twenty years of which I have been aware. Doesn't mean there aren't one or two, but the probability is close to zero. Talk is cheap. If anyone has any verified examples of non-welded ZB39s, let's hear about it. Again, I own a transferable example and have had it for more than twenty years, and these guns have been of great interest to me even before Souchik brought in the kits. I visited Souchik shortly after the import of the 1910s and enquired about any post-May guns from the various lots that came in and he said there were none. I cut up many hundreds of live MGs at Century Arms for IMA and the rules were that import permits had to specify if the guns were to be destroyed or imported as samples. Once in bond, they were required to meet the import designation which could not be changed. No posties could be saved from being destroyed if designated for destruction. So, whether Souchik included some post-samples among the ZBs and other MGs he imported seems to be a mystery, but there are also no post-May 1910s that I have ever heard of or seen offered that were imported as posties by him. FWIW

1 - 11 of 11 Posts